Five Local Pieces of Public Art Celebrated as Tops in the Nation
Last week during the 9th annual Americans for the Arts convention the Public Art Year in Review panel revealed their 40 picks for the best public art works in the United States from 2008, which includes projects from 32 cities in 15 states. Five of those works are right here in the Los Angeles area:
- Lawndale: Subdivisions by Anne Marie Karlsen (Los Angeles County Arts Commission)
- Los Angeles: Women in the City by Jenny Holzer, Barbara Kruger, Louise Lawler, and Cindy Sherman (West of Rome/Pasadena Art Council)
- Los Angeles: RainbowArbor by Ned Kahn (Skirball Museum and Cultural Center)
- Pasadena: Bighorn Fountain, Raptor Intaglio, and Cougar Intaglio by Gwynn Murrill (MS Property Company; City of Pasadena Public Art Program
- West Hollywood: Empyrean Passage by Dan Corson (The City of West Hollywood)
The artists and commissioning organizations involved in creating and citing these public art works will receive letters of recognition and congratulations from Americans for the Arts President and CEO Robert L. Lynch.