Extra, Extra: Hate, Skate, Evacuate
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- One week after being subdued in his cell with a taser gun and lapsing into a coma, 35-year-old Orange County inmate Jason Jesus Gomez has died, officials announced today. Gomez, who was in jail for a probation violation, stopped breathing after officers used the taser on him during a scuffle.
- Say cheese: LA City Council voted today to approve a contract that will put cameras in 300 LAPD cars.
- Just like Britney Spears, blonde bombshell Farrah Fawcett had her alluring face and form plastered on posters in bedrooms all over the country. Now, also like Spears, Fawcett's medical records were subject to some prying eyes.
- The tragic details of a 911 call placed last fall by a 15-year-old girl whose family was murdered in the yard while gathered for a barbeque have been released by authorities. Danielle Blixt made the call before realizing the killer was her own brother, who also committed suicide during the bloody incident.
- You'rrrrrrreeeeee OUT! "Dodgers third-base coach Larry Bowa was suspended for three games and fined by the commissioner's office Wednesday following a wild argument." Bowa got the boot from last night's game versus the Giants.
- Shell game: A Diamond Bar man has been sentenced to spend 6 1/2 months in prison for participating in an international smuggling ring that brought rare Asian tortoises into the country.
- Pandora's Box? The Community Thrift Store in Covina found an unusual item nestled among the items in a box of donated goods: A grenade! The building was evacuated.
- Are you Hollywood or Westside? Do you know enough about local landmarks, newsmakers, history, and...cashmere sweaters? Have a high tolerance threshold for the misspelling of well-know spots in the city (i.e. Pizzeria Mozzo and Grumman's Chinese Theatre? Ahem.) and cross-promotion? Represent your 'hood over at the MetroChallenge, an online quiz tied to the crop of new Metro Collection condos in partnership with our friends over at CurbedLA.