Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

Arts and Entertainment

Debbie Reynolds Hospitalized Day After Daughter Carrie Fisher's Death

LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher at Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith premiere in 2005. (Getty Images)

Update: Reynolds died the evening of December 28. Hours before she reportedly told her son, "I miss her so much, I want to be with Carrie."

Just one day after her daughter Carrie Fisher's death, Debbie Reynolds has reportedly been rushed to the hospital following what is believed to be "a possible stroke."

TMZ reports that the 84-year-old "was at her son, Todd Fisher's home in Beverly Hills and just after 1 p.m. someone from the house called 911." She was taken to a nearby emergency room. The site also reported that she "has been distraught since Carrie's emergency Friday on a United jet." She was reportedly at her son's home to discuss funeral plans for Carrie Fisher.

Support for LAist comes from

Following Fisher's death, Reynolds released this statement: "Thank you to everyone who has embraced the gifts and talents of my beloved and amazing daughter. I am grateful for your thoughts and prayers that are now guiding her to her next stop. Love, Carrie's Mother"

We'll update as soon as there is more information.

Update [3:05 p.m.]: Sources told the L.A. Times that Reynolds was complaining about trouble breathing when paramedics arrived at her son's house. A spokesperson for the Los Angeles City Fire Department told the Times that a woman was transported to the hospital from the 1700 block of Coldwater Canyon Drive in fair to serious condition.

Joely Fisher, half-sister of Carrie Fisher, tweeted well-wishes for Reynolds:

Support for LAist comes from

Update [4:45 p.m.]: Reynolds' son Todd Fisher told ABC 7 that his mother "is not OK."