9/11 Events & News for Los Angeles
Nationally, a new Bin Laden tape appears, a bomb scare at a U.S. Military base in Germany, William Saffire looks into how the meme 9/11 has taken hold in the language (A meme is “a unit of cultural information”) and NYC tries to move on. Here is a smattering of local September 11th news:
- There are four city events taking place today between 7 a.m. and the Dodgers Game tonight. More info at the Fire Department's blog.
- More events at Daily News.
- Valley Residents Opine
- LA Times lead story: "Post-9/11, 'safer today' but 'not safe'"
- A Washington D.C. resident in LA on business recalls his 9/11 experience in a Washington Post comment section: "Los Angeles radio stations reported endlessly on the effect the attacks were having on L.A. traffic and speculated that Disneyland would be the next target. Must get out of here, I vowed" (James Hood, 12:28 a.m.)
- A Lodi, CA man gets 24 years in a terrorism case.
- Slightly related: "We have more than 9,500 officers now, the most in city history and, yet, we have fewer cars on the street."