Education Cuts by the Numbers
The only good thing about the passing of the state budget last week was that it passed. What it does to the state's services is detrimental, including education:
- $7.4 billion: The new state budget cuts that much from schools and community colleges this year.
- $3.2 billion: And this is how much will be cut next year by the budget.
- $800 million: LA Unified School District, which has almost 700,000 students, may have to cut that much from their budget.
- 12,000: That's how many pink slips are expected to be released statewide to tenured and probationary teachers.
- 34: The states new maximum for students per teacher for kindergarten through 3rd garde. It previously was 20.
Source: "California schools struggling with budget-trimming decisions," LA Times