This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
- An update on the Chatsworth extension of the Orange Line, which will add four north-south mils to the busway.
- A fire erupted either at or next to Axe Restaurant on Abbot Kinney Venice today.
- The Echo Park Lake swap meet was broken up by police this weekend. L.A. City Council President Eric Garcetti backed the enforcement: "Turning Echo Park into a marketplace forces kids to play in the street. A city like Los Angeles cannot afford to lose what little public green space we have," he said.
- Highway surfing -- that's skateboarding while hanging onto a moving vehicle -- left on Ojai teen dead Sunday evening.
- Congressmember Jane Harman's 91-year-old husband, Sidney, has purchased Newsweek. The South Bay rep promises not to meddle in reporting.
- With a limited capacity for flights at San Diego International Airport, there's a proposal to build a pedestrian bridge over the border linking to Tijuana's airport.
- A carjacking in Orange this morning left one woman in critical condition after the suspect -- he was later caught -- stabbed her in a parking lot.
- Want to go see LCD Soundsystem, Hot Chip and Sleigh Bells on Frday, October 15th at the Hollywood Bowl? We're giving away two pairs of tickets and two chances to win them. You can enter twice, once on this LAist post and once by "liking" LAist on Facebook followed by commenting on this wall post. Good luck!
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.