DUI Checkpoints This Cinco De Mayo Weekend
Cinco De Mayo (which is not Mexican Independence Day, by the way) falls on a Monday this year, so that means everyone has found an excuse to drink throughout the whole weekend instead of just one day. Naturally that means the LAPD have set up DUI checkpoints and heightened patrols throughout the weekend in an effort to ensure the roads are as safe as possible as people celebrate the victory of Mexico over the French Army in 1862.
While some people, including our beloved @LAScanner, may find that giving out advanced warning of DUI crackdowns is like giving out a cheat sheet to people breaking the law, studies have shown that publicizing them will actually decrease the number of drunk drivers on the road.
"People having foresight aren't the ones who are committing this crime," LAPD Chief Charlie Beck once told LAist. "People who are thinking ahead aren't the ones that this checkpoint is likely to catch. I think that the publicity surrounding these things is so important that if you give a couple of locations, that's fine."
Here's the DUI checkpoints and areas with saturation patrols this Cinco De Mayo weekend:
Friday, May 2:
- DUI checkpoint at Huntington Dr. at Poplar Blvd. in the Hollenbeck Area from 7 PM-1AM
- DUI checkpoint at Manchester Ave. at Avalon Blvd. in the 77th St. Area from 7 PM-1AM
- DUI checkpoint at Western Ave. at 8th St. in the Olympic Area from 8 PM-2 AM
- DUI checkpoint at Vermont Ave. at Melrose Blvd. in the Rampart Area from 8 PM-2 AM
Saturday, May 3:
- DUI checkpoint at Cahuenga Blvd. at Broadlawn Dr. in North Hollywood from 8 PM-2 AM
- DUI checkpoint at Laurel Canyon Blvd. at Oxnard St. in North Hollywood from 8 PM-2 AM
Monday, May 5:
- saturation patrol in the Central Area from 12 PM-8 PM
- saturation patrol in the Southwest Area from 5 PM-1 AM
- saturation patrols in Hollywood from 5 PM-1 AM and 7 PM-3 AM
As always, please don't drink and drive, have a designated driver, and call a cab. Be safe, and have a happy Cinco De Mayo.