Did this Street Sweeper Miss the Point?
How silly. Here on this cul de sac in Sherman Oaks sat glass for nearly four weeks as street sweepers went by every Thursday. You can even see the vehicle's damp tire tracks going around the debris in the above photo.
Detail of Glass
Upon a call to Public Works about this we also learned some interesting facts:
- There are 13,000 curb miles in Los Angeles.
- Street sweepers concentrate on the curbside and rarely go into the middle of the street
- 90% of debris on city streets are within two feet of the curb.
- Only a third of streets in the city have signs posted for street cleaning and those are apparently swept on a weekly basis.
- Areas without street sweeping signs are generally swept once a month.
A day after our call, the glass was gone.