This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
L.A. Serial Killer 'Grim Sleeper' Arrested, Source Says [Updated]
Two age progressed composites, left, of the Grim Sleeper, who is thought to be 45 to 60 years old and 5'8" to 5'10". The original composite is to the right. (read composite story here)
An arrest has been made in the Grim Sleeper serial killer case, according to an anonymous source to the Associated Press. Since 1985, one man tied through DNA is suspected of slaying 11 people -- 10 black women and one man -- through 2007.
An LAPD spokesperson did confirm to LAist that an arrest was made, but could not say if it was the Grim Sleeper. A press conference may be scheduled for Thursday.
In August 2008, Angelenos first learned of the Grim Sleeper in an expose by the LA Weekly. Since then, the serial killer that has eluded police for 25 years has drawn widespread media attention and the highest-ever reward offered by the city of Los Angeles.
A search warrant was reportedly served to the suspect in South L.A. this morning. "DNA experts and cold-case officers planned to head out at 8:30 a.m. Wednesday to serve a search warrant on a 'high profile' and 'very embarrassing' case, a source told us," the Weekly learned. "The warrant was confirmed Wednesday morning as being related to the 'Grim Sleeper' case."
TV helicopters are hovering over the apparent suspect's home on 81st Street between Harvard and Western.