This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
'Tea' Fire Under Investigation, Areas Still Under Evacuation
AP Photo/Mike Meadows | For more images of the Tea Fire, see our Photo Essay
As of 8:30 this morning, Santa Barbara County had the following information available regarding the devastating 'Tea' fire:
* 1,800 acres burned
* 111 residences destroyed, 9 residences damaged
* Damage assessment is continuing
* 5,446 homes evacuated
* More than 2,200 firefighters
* 17 injuries from smoke inhalation
* 3 burn injuries
San Marcos High School continues to be in use as an evacuation shelter, with 40 people currently staying there. Mandatory evacuation orders remain in effect, as well as evacuation warnings (listed after the jump). For updated road closure information there is a hotline at (805) 568-3006 as well as a website available.According to the report, "the cause of Tea Fire is currently under investigation. If you have information about the fire, please call the Sheriff’s anonymous tip hotline 805-681-4171."
Mandatory evacuation orders are in effect for:
*North of 192 between Hot Springs and Mission Canyon
* All of Sycamore Canyon
* North of 192 between Sycamore Canyon and Gibraltar Rd.
* Hot Springs (eastern boundary) to Tunnel Rd. (western boundary) from Hwy 192 @ Hot Springs to Barker Pass to Alameda Padre Sierra (southern boundary) to East Camino Cielo (northern boundary)
* Both sides of Tunnel Rd. above Montrose
* Only residents on the east side of Tunnel Rd. below Montrose
* Residents on Gibraltar Rd. above the west fork of the Cold Springs Trail should evacuate to the north via East Camino Cielo. Residents below the west fork should evacuate to the south.
Evacuation warnings issued for:
* North of 192 from Hot Springs Rd. east to San Ysidro Rd.
* Mission Canyon north of Foothill Rd. to Tunnel Rd. westbound on Foothill to Ontare Rd., Ontare Rd. north of Foothill Rd.
* Bordered on the north by Alameda Padre Sierra, on the east by Montecito St. to Milpas, Milpas to Anapamu, Anapamu to Laguna, and Laguna to Los Olivos, and Los Olivos to Alameda Padre Sierra.