14 25 Dogs Killed in Riverside Pack Rat House Fire*
A fire last night in a Riverside home proved to be a unique challenge for firefighters because the house was "packed to the ceiling with items," according to cbs2. The fire was sparked by "an electrical problem" and was troubling for the responding crew since "the kitchen and back porch area [...] were stuffed with clutter and there was no way to get inside" and, further, "there was concern that embers had ignited hidden fires in other rooms."While to took about a half-hour to put out the fire, which caused about $120,000 in damage, the ultimate loss of life came in the form of 14 Lhasa Apso dogs who were kept in cages inside one of the home's rooms. "Battalion Chief Bill Stamper says they probably died from smoke inhalation."
*UPDATE: 11 more dogs have been found dead inside the home, bringing the total to 25.