Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This


Body Of Woman Stabbed 150 Times Near Site Of Manson Killings in 1969 Finally Identified

Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.

The body of a woman who was found in 1969 near the site of the Manson killings with 150 stab wounds has been identified by the LAPD as that of a 19-year-old woman from Montreal. Reet Jurvetson moved to Los Angeles during the summer of 1969, according to the Los Angeles Times. Her body was first discovered on November 16, 1969, by a birdwatcher poking around a ravine off Mulholland Drive, according to People Magazine. LAPD Detective Luis Rivera explained to the magazine how investigators cannot rule out the possibility that Jurvetson's death is connected to the Manson family killings.

"It was personal," Rivera told People. "It was a maniac ... or love gone wrong."

Police used a DNA test to identify Jurvetson's body after her sister, Anne, recognized a composite image online.

Before being identified, Jurvetson's body was known simply as Jane Doe No. 59. Her body was discovered just a few miles away from the location of other Manson killings. This fact, paired with her death's timing and Jurvetson's youth, make her a candidate for someone who became affiliated with, and was eventually murdered by, Charles Manson and his followers.

Support for LAist comes from

According to her sister, Jurvetson moved to Los Angeles in the pursuit of a man named "John." Jurvetson mailed her Montreal family a single postcard telling them she had safely arrived, and had found an apartment. Her family never heard from her again.

"As incredible as it seems, my parents never thought to report Reet missing to the police," Anne said in a statement to People Magazine. "They thought that she was just living her life somewhere and that eventually news from her would turn up."

Reet never turned up.

"Although our family continuously hoped that one day Reet would return home, I eventually came to the conclusion that she had probably passed away," Anne said.

Incidentally, in mid-April, the California state parole board voted in favor of granting Manson family member Leslie Van Houten parole after 20 unsuccessful appeals.