This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
A candle in the wind
The Los Angeles Fire Department blog (one of the coolest things ever) warns us today to be cautious with our candles. Home candle fires have tripled in the last 15 years, and from 1999-2002 the top two days for home fires started by candles were Christmas Eve and Christmas Day.
Half of all fires were started because something flammable tangled with the candle. So while it should go without saying, we echo the LAFD: don't put candles near things that burn (complete recommendations are on their blog).
If you want to go the abstinence route, just regift that fancy candle from your Aunt Peg. She'll never know.
Photo by Mark Probst via Flickr