This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
72-Year-Old Woman Sues Valley Hair Salon For Giving Her A Pot Cookie
While some folks may enjoy a marijuana high, it's not quite the same when you gobble down an edible by accident. A 72-year-old woman sued a Woodland Hills hair salon yesterday, saying that she grabbed what she thought was a regular cookie from their hospitality tray, but it turned out to be a dessert laced with pot.
Jo Ann Nickerson, a longtime customer of the salon, claims that the cookie she got as she was leaving Blush Salon at 22539 Ventura Boulevard on Oct. 4, 2013 gave her some major side effects, according to CBS Los Angeles. (She said that the company normally offers home-baked goods to its customers.) Within an hour of eating it, she started having "hallucinations, rapid heart beat, confusion, disorientation, light-headedness, dizziness, blurred vision, tingling, a headache and nausea," the lawsuit says. "She found herself unable to speak or had delayed speech and was completely incapacitated."
Nickerson thought she was having a heart attack, so she went to West Hills Hospital, where doctors found THC in her blood test—a chemical in pot, according to the complaint. She said she had never used marijuana before and she hadn't eaten anything else that day before she snacked on the cookie.
She's suing the salon for negligence, strict product liability and negligent infliction of emotional distress. City News Service reported that the salon has no comment at the moment because they are in the middle of litigation.