WATCH: LAist's 5 Keys For Your Voter Game Plan
We're approaching "Election Month" in California. County registrars will start mailing out ballots to all registered, active voters in the state on Oct. 5.
To gear up, we made this video with 5 keys for your Voter Game Plan.
1) Check your voter registration status and watch your mailbox
Double check that you're registered and confirm that your local elections office has your current mailing address. Do it now -- don't wait.
2) Seal your ballot in the official envelope and remember to sign the outside.
Once you've filled out your ballot, place it in the return envelope and don't forget your signature on the outside! A rule of thumb is to sign the way you did on your driver's license.
3) There's more than one way to cast that ballot.
When you're ready, you can...
- Mail it back, with no postage required. As long as your ballot is postmarked on or before Election Day, it has 17 days to make it to the registrar's office.
- Or turn it in at a secure ballot drop-box -- there will be roughly 400 in L.A. County -- or a polling place or vote center.
4) Track your ballot and make sure it's counted
Try the "Where's My Ballot?" service on the Secretary of State's website.
If your mail-in ballot is rejected for any reason -- usually that happens because of a mismatched signature -- state law says your registrar has to contact you and give you a chance to fix it.
5) You can still vote in person
Counties will be operating voting locations with COVID-19 safety measures.
In Los Angeles and Orange Counties, some "vote centers" will be open for 11 days. There's even one at Dodger Stadium. The full list of vote center locations will be available in early October.
If you have any questions about the voting process, or want to help shape our election coverage, contact our Voter Game Plan team at LAist.com.
One final note: Oct. 19 is the last day to register online to vote. But if you miss that deadline, DON'T WORRY. You can still register in-person -- up to and including Election Day, Nov. 3.