Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Colorful array of city activities: food truck, cyclists, girl in quinceanera dress; 6th street bridge in the background
(Dan Carino
/
LAist)
  • How To LA logo (graphical text) with LAist Studios logo (graphical text) with 6th street bridge in the background; with red to orange vertical gradient as background color
    13:00
    13:00
    The Future Of Stormwater Capture in LA
    #61: Remember those intense storms in early January? L.A. County said it captured some 33 BILLION gallons of stormwater to use later and support about 800,000 households a year. It's an important step to help us get through the drought years. But that awesome number is less than 20% of the total rain water. The other 80% washed right out to sea. Today we're explaining why that is... and what the county is doing to improve. We're also checking out a success story in a neighborhood park in South LA, that might hold the answer to LA's water woes. Guests: Erin Stone, LAist Climate Emergency reporter; Steve Frasher, public information officer for LA County Public Works; and Bruce Reznick, executive director of LA Waterkeeper To learn more about this project, check out Erin's article: https://laist.com/news/climate-environment/how-capturing-more-stormwater-can-also-make-city-parks-better

About How To LA

We’re here to help curious Angelenos connect with others, discover the new, navigate the confusing, and even drive some change along the way. Host Brian De Los Santos brings you stories about L.A., for L.A., by L.A. — with your help. Like you, we know this city is unique, and that’s why it’s one of the reasons we love it.

Find out more

How To LA Newsletter

Our newsletter host Aaricka Washington offers up a daily dose of news, L.A. life hacks, and inspo to explore our city. Sign up to get the best headlines and tips from LAist every weekday morning.

The Best of How To LA
Featured
You can power How To LA
This great community resource only exists with your reader support. Help us tell stories about LA’s rich history and exciting future, as well as answer the deeper questions on important issues. Step up and become a member today with a donation! Let’s explore and discover our great city together.
How To Get Around
How To Find The Best Food
What LA neighborhood is special to you?
We're looking for the hidden gems, the secrets only people who live there know. Tell us about it and be on the show.
How To Play In LA
How To Explain LA
Support for LAist comes from
How To Connect With LA's Past