Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

The Brief

The most important stories for you to know today
  • Huntington Beach votes to limit kids' book access
    A view down a stairwell, there are tall windows on the left with trees and greenery outside, and windows into stacks of library books on the right. Two people are sitting at two different tables in the foreground.
    Inside the Huntington Beach Central Library.

    Topline:

    The Huntington Beach City Council voted 4-3 on a resolution stating that no city library will allow children access to books with any sexual content.

    What details are in the proposal?

    • The resolution requires that all books with any sexual content be placed only on shelves designated for people 18 and older.
    • It also requires minors to have a parent or guardian's consent to check out those books.
    • In addition, the resolution calls for establishing a "community parent/guardian review board" composed of up to three members appointed by each council member, for potentially 21 members total. The board will review children's books proposed for acquisition by the city library and existing library books flagged by review board members.

    Go deeper: Read prior coverage on this issue from LAist.

    The Huntington Beach City Council passed a resolution early Wednesday stating that no city library will allow children access to books with any sexual content.

    The resolution also calls for establishing a committee to review children's library books for sexual content and decide whether to approve books proposed for library acquisition.

    The measure was passed by the council's conservative majority on a 4-3 vote after about five hours of public comment that started Tuesday evening, most of it in opposition.

    Some likened the proposal to censorship by an authoritarian government.

    "Talk about a nanny state," said former Huntington Beach Mayor Connie Boardman during the public comment period.

    The city received nearly 550 emails about the proposal, about 95% of them in opposition.

    Councilmember Gracey Van Der Mark, who sponsored the resolution, said it's meant to protect children from age-inappropriate content.

    The Huntington Beach library system has received just five complaints about books in the past five years, according to a city council presentation.

    The details

    The resolution requires that all books with any sexual content be placed only on shelves designated for people 18 and older. It also requires minors have a parent or guardian's consent to check out those books.

    [Read our earlier story about the book censorship measure.]

    In addition, the resolution calls for establishing a "community parent/guardian review board" composed of up to three members appointed by each council member, for potentially 21 members total. The board will review children's books proposed for acquisition by the city library and existing library books flagged by review board members.

    What supporters say

    Van Der Mark argued against people who characterized the measure as a "book ban," saying books found to be inappropriate for children would be re-shelved in the adult section.

    She also argued that community members on the review board will have as much right as librarians to accept or reject books for the public library.

    "We should have a right as Huntington Beach residents to have a library that is reflective of our community," Van Der Mark told LAist earlier this week.

    What opponents say 

    Opponents countered that librarians are trained to curate books for a wide diversity of interests and viewpoints.

    They called the measure censorship and said it violates people's First Amendment right to receive information. They also said the resolution's sweeping language could open the city up to litigation.

    The ACLU Foundation of Southern California and First Amendment Coalition sent a joint letter to the Huntington Beach City Council opposing the measure on constitutional grounds, and saying that, if implemented literally, kids under 18 would need parental permission to access classics like Romeo and Juliet, The Great Gatsby and even the Bible.

    Many residents said the measure was simply unnecessary.

    "I'd like to point out that we already have a committee of parents to select books, it's called parents," said Lindsay Klick, a Huntington Beach resident who said she's a children's librarian elsewhere in Orange County.

    "They don't have to give their child a library card. So they can be their own parental committee of one, selecting the materials for them, with them, at the library."

  • The bright green bird is a familiar site in Hermon
    Man with medium-tone skin wearing blue shirt and black cap with neon yellow backpack has green parrot perched on shoulder, standing in parking lot
    T.J. Gonzalez rescued Pepe, a red-crowned amazon parrot, who had a broken wing about five years ago. The two now makes appearances at various community gatherings and local hubs, including in front of Fresco Market in Hermon.

    Topline:

    A colorful parrot has captured the hearts of a northeast Los Angeles neighborhood.

    The backstory: T.J. Gonzalez, a mail carrier for 37 years before he retired, found Pepe, a red-crowned Amazon in July 2021. The chick had fallen out of a nest and was flailing on a busy street in San Marino.

    Where to meet Pepe the Parrot: The pair are a common site at the Fresco Market in Hermon. They can also be found at community centers, farmers’ markets and local events and they often take the Metro into downtown Los Angeles, Long Beach and other locations.

    Hermon — Some shoppers heading into Fresco Market were lost in their phones, but when they momentarily looked up, they were greeted by a flap of brilliant green feathers and a cheery squawk. Phones were put away.

    “Pepe! Hey Pepe! So good to see you!”

    Perched on the shoulder of T.J. Gonzalez, Pepe the Parrot was in full greeter mode. Wide-eyed and seeming to almost smile as he surveyed the parking lot and his approaching public, Pepe did what he naturally does: make people happy.

    A common sight at the Hermon market, near where they live, Gonzalez and Pepe can also be found at community centers, farmers’ markets and local events. They often take the Metro into downtown Los Angeles, Long Beach and other locations.

    There’s no money asked, stressed Gonzalez, adding that Pepe simply adores the attention. “People want to see and talk with him more than me,” he joked as he cracked a nut and placed it in his mouth. On cue, the bird reached around Gonzalez’s mouth to retrieve it.

    Man with light-tone skin wears a black baseball cap and sunglasses holds green parrot in a parking lot.
    Michael Eagle-Hall of El Sereno is delighted to meet Pepe outside of the Fresco Market in Hermon.
    (
    Brenda Rees
    /
    The Eastsider
    )

    A mail carrier for 37 years before he retired, Gonzalez found Pepe, a red-crowned Amazon (flocks are often seen in Northeast L.A.) in July 2021. The chick had fallen out of a nest and was flailing on a busy street in San Marino. “He was like roadkill,” said Gonzalez, who watched cars drive over (without striking) the bird.

    Gonzalez retrieved the parrot and looked for help, but wildlife rehabbers said they’d euthanize the bird since it had a broken wing. Gonzalez instead brought him to a vet and christened him Pepe.

    Since Pepe could not fly, Gonzalez started walking him around the neighborhood. He soon discovered how kids and adults enjoyed interacting with the parrot. Pepe is also a social media darling, with more than 8,600 followers on Instagram.

    Pepe is more of a squawker than a talker, but Gonzalez has learned how to art-direct photos of people and the bird, instructing them on how to hold their hands and arms best. “We just want that smile because that’s all that Pepe wants from you,” said Gonzalez.

  • Sponsored message
  • Bodies of all 9 skiers killed have been recovered

    Topline:

    Crews have now recovered the bodies of all nine backcountry skiers who were killed in an avalanche in Northern California earlier this week. It marks an end to what authorities on Saturday described as an agonizing five-day search and recovery operation complicated by intense winter storms northwest of Lake Tahoe.

    Why now: Until Saturday, authorities had not confirmed the death of a ninth victim, a skier who had been missing and presumed dead. Officials say their body was found near the eight other victims that have now been recovered.

    Crews have now recovered the bodies of all nine backcountry skiers who were killed in an avalanche in Northern California earlier this week. It marks an end to what authorities on Saturday described as an agonizing five-day search and recovery operation complicated by intense winter storms northwest of Lake Tahoe.

    "While we wish we could have saved them all, we are grateful that we can bring them home," said Nevada County Sheriff Shannan Moon during a Saturday news conference.

    Until Saturday, authorities had not confirmed the death of a ninth victim, a skier who had been missing and presumed dead. Officials say their body was found near the eight other victims that have now been recovered. Authorities said avalanche hazards and weather conditions were too dangerous most of the week to search for the remaining victim or recover the bodies.

    Four of the bodies were recovered on Friday, and the rest of the bodies were recovered on Saturday, all in the Castle Peak area where the avalanche – one of the deadliest in California history — struck. Six people from the group of 15 skiers survived Tuesday's disaster, the last day of a three-day backcountry ski trip. One guide and five travelers were among the survivors.

    Helicopters with the California National Guard as well as the California Highway Patrol were used to hoist the remaining bodies from the mountain, officials said at the press conference.

    On Friday, officials were able to use specialized techniques with the help of Pacific Gas & Electric to reduce the avalanche risk.

    The ski trip was organized by Blackbird Mountain Guides, an outdoor tour company based in Truckee, Calif. Moon confirmed the identities of the victims. Three guides were killed: Andrew Alissandratos, 34, from Verdi, Nev.; Michael Henry, 30, from Soda Springs, Calif.; and Nicole Choo, 42, of South Lake Tahoe, Calif. The other victims, who had signed up for the group trip, are: Carrie Atkin, 46, of Soda Springs; Lizabeth Clabaugh, 52, of Boise, Idaho; Danielle Keatley, 44, of Soda Springs and Larkspur, Calif.; Kate Morse, 45, of Soda Springs and Tiburon, Calif.; Caroline Sekar, 45, of Soda Springs and San Francisco; and Katherine Vitt, 43, of Greenbrae, Calif.

    The Sierra Avalanche Center classified the avalanche between a D2 and D3 on the avalanche danger scale.

    "A D2 would take down a person. A D3 would take down a house, so it was right in between those. It was described by them as a football field length of a path of the avalanche," Sheriff Moon said on Saturday.

    Multiple agencies are investigating.

    "We are investigating the incident to determine if there were any factors that would be considered criminal negligence," Ashley Quadros with the Nevada County Sheriff's Office said in an email to NPR on Sunday. "It is a standard investigation. It is too early to know if criminal charges will be applicable, as the investigation is preliminary and remains active and ongoing."

    The area will be closed to visitors for several weeks.
    Copyright 2026 NPR

  • Sen. Adam Schiff says he'll pass
    An older man with gray hair and light skin tone looks up towards right of frame with a microphone in front of him.
    Senator Adam Schiff who was reelected to the US Senate speaks at the 2024 CA DEM party at the JW Marriott on Tuesday, Nov. 5, 2024 in Los Angeles, CA.

    Topline:

    California Senator Adam Schiff is the latest Democrat to say they will boycott the State of the Union on Tuesday.

    Why now: In a video posted Saturday on social media, Schiff cites as reasons a number of President Donald Trump's actions.

     "Donald Trump is violating the law and Constitution. He's ignoring court orders. He has weaponized the Justice Department to go after his enemies. He is letting loose ice troops in our streets that are getting people killed. I will not be attending the State of the Union. I've never missed one. I have always gone both to inaugurations and to states of the Union, but we cannot treat this as normal," he said in his message.

    What's next: Instead, Schiff plans to attend The People's State of the Union, organized by Democratic advocacy organizations MoveOn and MeidasTouch on the National Mall that same night, joining a number of Democratic lawmakers who'll also be skipping President Trump's address to the nation on Tuesday.

  • Still open despite earlier DHS announcement

    Topline:

    The Transportation Security Administration said today that its PreCheck program would remain operational despite an earlier announcement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that the airport security service was being suspended during the partial government shutdown.

    What's next? It was not immediately clear whether Global Entry, another airport service, would be affected. PreCheck and Global Entry are designed to help speed registered travelers through security lines, and suspensions would likely cause headaches and delays.

    The Transportation Security Administration said Sunday that its PreCheck program would remain operational despite an earlier announcement from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security that the airport security service was being suspended during the partial government shutdown.

    "As staffing constraints arise, TSA will evaluate on a case by case basis and adjust operations accordingly," the agency said.

    It was not immediately clear whether Global Entry, another airport service, would be affected. PreCheck and Global Entry are designed to help speed registered travelers through security lines, and suspensions would likely cause headaches and delays.

    The turmoil is tied to a partial government shutdown that began Feb. 14 after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are core to President Donald Trump's deportation campaign.

    Homeland Security previously said it was taking "emergency measures to preserve limited funds." Among the steps listed were "ending Transportation Security Administration (TSA) PreCheck lanes and Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Global Entry service, to refocus Department personnel on the majority of travelers."

    Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement on Saturday night that "shutdowns have serious real world consequences."

    One group of fliers will definitely be affected, according to TSA

    "Courtesy escorts, such as those for Members of Congress, have been suspended to allow officers to focus on the mission of securing America's skies," the agency said.

    Airlines for America, a trade group representing major carriers, said Saturday night that "it's past time for Congress to get to the table and get a deal done." It also criticized the announcement by saying it was "issued with extremely short notice to travelers, giving them little time to plan accordingly."

    Democrats on the House Committee on Homeland Security criticized Homeland Security handling of airport security after the initial announcement on Saturday night. They accused the administration of "kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure."

    Sen. Andy Kim, a New Jersey Democrat, said Noem's actions are part of an administration strategy to distract from other issues and shift responsibility.

    "This administration is trying to weaponize our government, trying to make things intentionally more difficult for the American people as a political leverage," he told CNN on Sunday. "And the American people see that."