Evacuation orders go into effect this morning for nearly 400 properties in “various recent burn scar areas” in anticipation of a significant storm system headed for Southern California, according to the L.A. County Office of Emergency Management.
Evacuation order: The orders will go into effect at 11 a.m. Tuesday (Dec. 23). The 383 properties affected by the evacuation orders have been visited to ensure people are contacted directly.
“L.A. County Sheriff’s deputies will begin door-to-door notifications this morning,” L.A. County Supervisor Lindsey Horvath said in an email Monday. Several areas are also under evacuation warnings, which you can view here.
The storm: Rain will begin today and is expected to be heaviest tonight and Wednesday, with showers to continue through Christmas Day and the weekend. By Saturday evening, the National Weather Service said rainfall totals will range from 4 to 8 inches for coastal and valley areas and as much as 8 to 12 or more inches for the foothills and mountains.
Flood watch: A flood watch will be in effect from Tuesday through Thursday evening for L.A. and surrounding counties. According to the L.A. County Department of Public Works, several burn scar areas are at risk for moderate debris and mudflows.
Destiny Torres
is LAist's general assignment reporter and brings you the top news you need for the day.
Published May 20, 2026 2:09 PM
The city of Santa Ana managed to shave down a multi-million dollar budget to $85, cutting funds from several departments.
(
Destiny Torres
/
LAist
)
Topline:
The city of Santa Ana shaved a multi-million dollar budget deficit down to $85. Proposed cuts are planned for several city departments.
What’s on the chopping block? Cuts are being made to after-school programming, park maintenance and vacant job positions.
What’s next? The city will host a public hearing to go over the budget draft on June 2.
Read on … for what cuts could be made to balance the budget.
The city of Santa Ana is just $85 short of closing what started as a $13 million budget deficit. On the chopping block: after-school programming, park maintenance and more.
The city manager’s office presented another round of cuts to balance the budget at yesterday’s City Council meeting. Officials reported that the current proposal avoids layoffs and furloughs. Most of the cuts will come from the Public Works Department at more than $3 million.
Santa Ana's current budget proposal includes an estimated $85 deficit for the upcoming fiscal year.
(
Courtesy of the city of Santa Ana
)
More on what’s being cut
The Police Department is seeing a proposed $2 million in cuts, but could still be allocated $4 million more than last year, according to the budget draft.
The city is looking to cut 20 vacant full-time positions and reduce part-time spending.
Five non-mandated commissions will also be dissolved, including the youth, parks and recreation, and arts and culture commissions. The move will save the city nearly $28,000.
Ambulance services will be cut down from a 24-hour unit to a 12-hour unit, saving $250,000, and fees will increase.
Nearly every city department is seeing proposed cuts. Here’s a breakdown:
Public Works: $3,386,515
Police: $2,213,390
Planning and Building: $1,484,960
Parks and Recreation: $1,155,010
Community Development: $646,590
Finance: $589,890
Library: $465,390
Human Resources: $292,770
City Manager’s Office: $279,810
Fire: $250,000
City Clerk: $40,010
How did we get here?
At a City Council meeting earlier this month, officials reported that the city’s revenue increased by 3% compared to last year, but spending is up 6%, with hikes in labor and pension/liability costs.
What’s the deal with youth programming?
The Santa Ana Police Athletic and Activity League, also known as PAAL, costs the city more than $877,000, about 80% of which goes toward salaries for its current fiscal budget.
PAAL costs the city about $5,400 per child, compared to youth programs run by the Parks and Recreation Department, which cost about $100 per kid.
PAAL’s after-school and summer programs serve 87 children, and more than 200 are mentored and coached through its sports programming. The program’s budget will be slashed by about half.
Councilmember Johnathan Ryan Hernandez said this move should not be seen as a cut to youth services.
“Through this new proposed recommendation, we’ll reinstate exercise instruction at four different elementary schools, and we will increase the services from 228 children to 2,200 children,” Hernandez said. “We are not cutting youth services, we're actually adding youth services while saving money for our city.”
Mayor Valerie Amezcua said the library and parks departments can do the same programs, but not the way PAAL does.
“I just want to make sure whatever cuts we're making, that we continue to include our Police Department. To me, that's very important for the public trust,” Amezcua said.
What’s next?
The city isn’t completely in the clear when it comes to its finances. Measure X, a voter-approved sales tax, will be reduced in 2029, resulting in the loss of at least $30 million in annual revenue before completely expiring in 2039. The City Council, aside from Councilmembers David Penaloza and Jessie Lopez, has supported asking voters if the tax should be made permanent.
A public hearing to review the drafted budget will be held on June 2. Details will be posted on the city’s website.
Julia Barajas
is following the impact of President Trump's immigration policies on Southern California communities.
Published May 20, 2026 12:40 PM
The GEO Group expanded its detention complex in Adelanto by converting a former state prison into the "Desert View Annex" in 2020.
(
Patrick T. Fallon
/
AFP via Getty Images
)
Topline:
At least 20 detainees have launched a hunger strike at Desert View Annex, an immigrant detention center in Adelanto, California, where about 400 people are being held.
Why it matters: On top of squalid conditions, detainees say they must often wait several months to see the doctor and that they’re fed cold, unsanitary food. Detainees also say staff use solitary confinement to retaliate against those who speak out against these conditions, and to isolate detainees who are experiencing mental health crises.
Why now: The strike follows the recent release of a report from the California Department of Justice. The report details how the surge in immigrant apprehensions strained conditions and access to medical care at all of the facilities operating in California. State investigators also describe the recent deaths of multiple detainees.
What the federal government says: In an emailed statement, an unnamed Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said: “There is no hunger strike at Adelanto.” The department also added: “For the record: During hunger strikes, ICE continues to provide three meals a day, delivered to the detained alien’s room, and an adequate supply of drinking water or other beverages.”
What's next: Earlier this year, a coalition of immigrant rights groups filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of detainees, calling for conditions at Adelanto to be improved. The coalition has since requested an emergency court order to prevent further harm. A hearing is scheduled for July 10.
At least 20 detainees have launched a hunger strike at Desert View Annex, an immigrant detention center in Adelanto, California, where about 400 people are being held.
At a news conference Wednesday, immigrant rights groups, including the Coalition for Humane Immigrant Rights, said the strikers were motivated by the detention center’s inadequate response to life-threatening health conditions among detainees, “decreasing portions of food” as commissary prices rise and “retaliation and suppression” against those who’ve spoken out against conditions inside. The media event included family members and legal representatives, who described hearing from detainees about how the hunger strike began.
The strike follows the recent release of a critical report from the California Department of Justice. Grounded in interviews with 194 detainees across the state, the report details how the surge in immigrant apprehensions strained conditions and access to medical care at all of the facilities operating in California. State investigators also described the recent deaths of multiple detainees.
The annex strikers’ demands include:
bond reform
remediation of mold, repair of water infrastructure, clean water and functioning facilities
timely medical appointments, “appropriate treatment for chronic conditions” and “substantive mental health support”
“The ability to meet collectively, speak with outside advocates, and communicate with family and the public without interference or retaliation.”
Desert View Annex is operated by The GEO Group, a private prison company, under contract with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. No one at the press conference could confirm whether any detainees at the main Adelanto detention facility were on a hunger strike, too.
What is the response from authorities?
In response to a request for comment, The GEO Group referred LAist to the federal government. In an emailed statement, an unnamed Department of Homeland Security spokesperson said: “There is no hunger strike at Adelanto.”
The department also added: “For the record: During hunger strikes, ICE continues to provide three meals a day, delivered to the detained alien’s room, and an adequate supply of drinking water or other beverages.”
The department also said: “It is a longstanding practice to provide comprehensive medical care from the moment an alien enters ICE custody. This includes medical, dental, and mental health services as available, and access to medical appointments and 24-hour emergency care. For many illegal aliens this is the best healthcare they have received their entire lives.”
What do detainees experience?
Caleb Soto, an attorney with the National Day Labor Organizing Network, represents people currently detained at the Adelanto detention center. He said he goes inside the facility every week.
“I watch [detainees] deteriorate week by week,” he said. “The food they're given ... provides almost no nutrition. Medical appointments can take weeks or even months to be approved, and often last 60 seconds ending with the prescription of Tylenol, Advil or even a salt packet. People with serious conditions go untreated, and I've watched people age in front of me in a matter of months.”
Soto also described his experience with the bond system. “Discretionary releases have fallen 87%,” he said. “And for those who do get a bond hearing, the average bond is now over $14,000, which is a stark increase from the previous administration.”
Detainees have filed grievances, raised formal complaints and written officials about the conditions they’re experiencing, Soto added. “A hunger strike is not a first resort," he said. "It's what people do when every other option has been taken from them.”
Earlier this year, a coalition of immigrant rights groups filed a federal lawsuit on behalf of detainees, calling for conditions at Adelanto to be improved. The coalition has since requested an emergency court order to prevent further harm. A hearing is scheduled for July 10.
Keep up with LAist.
If you're enjoying this article, you'll love our daily newsletter, The LA Report. Each weekday, catch up on the 5 most pressing stories to start your morning in 3 minutes or less.
Gab Chabrán
covers what's happening in food and culture for LAist.
Published May 20, 2026 12:15 PM
Kojima in Sawtelle only seats eight people at a time.
(
Courtesy Michelin Guide
)
Top line:
The esteemed Michelin Guide just added 10 new L.A. restaurants to its California list. Some of the restaurants are long-timers, others just months old.
The restaurants:
- ALTO in Studio City: Argentine/Uruguayan live-fire cooking.
- Casa Leo in Los Feliz: Spanish tapas.
- Electric Bleu in Mar Vista: French bistro with a California twist.
- Kojima in Sawtelle: 8-seat omakase-style, no menu.
- Lielle in Pico Robertson: Nordic-meets-California tasting menu.
- Lynx in the Arts District: pizza-only with refined toppings.
-The Mulberry in Sawtell: Korean American comfort food.
-SORA Craft Kitchen in DTLA: Modern Anatolian/Turkish.
-Good Alley in Rosemead: Chinese, xiao long bao and more.
One addition is outside L.A.
- Alice B. in Palm Springs: Californian cuisine with Mediterranean influences.
Why it matters: It's a big honor for these restaurants to be recognized, some of whom have been around for a long time.
What's next: Some of these restaurants could receive a Michelin star or Bib Gourmand award at the annual ceremony on June 24.
Top line:
The esteemed Michelin Guide just added 10 new L.A. restaurants to its California list. Some of the restaurants are long-timers, others just months old.
The restaurants:
- ALTO in Studio City: Argentine/Uruguayan live-fire cooking.
- Casa Leo in Los Feliz: Spanish tapas.
- Electric Bleu in Mar Vista: French bistro with a California twist.
- Kojima in Sawtelle: 8-seat omakase-style, no menu.
- Lielle in Pico Robertson: Nordic-meets-California tasting menu.
- Lynx in the Arts District: pizza-only with refined toppings.
-The Mulberry in Sawtelle: Korean American comfort food.
Election workers check-in voters at a vote center at the Mission Valley Library in San Diego on Nov. 5, 2024.
(
Adriana Heldiz
/
CalMatters
)
Topline:
While GOP lawmakers try to convince moderates that a voter ID requirement is a “common sense” idea, they continue to push President Donald Trump’s debunked fraud narrative.
Why now: With President Donald Trump dragging them down in the polls, California Republicans are repackaging one of his core crusades into an idea they hope will be more palatable to voters. They are framing their successful push to get a voter ID law on the November ballot as a “common sense” measure. “We’ve structured this initiative based on what voters across the political spectrum would want,” Republican Assemblymember Carl DeMaio of San Diego said in a March interview, adding that showing an ID at the polls shouldn’t be any different than using one to buy alcohol or pass airport security.
The backstory: Last month, GOP legislators held a “stop the fraud” press conference, where they alleged without proof rampant corruption across state government, from elections to homelessness programs, and urged Newsom to call a special election to “audit” the alleged fraud. The polling they point to also shows, however, that support for requiring identification at the polls drops to 39% when voters are told it is backed by DeMaio and could suppress turnout.
Read on... for more on the measure.
With President Donald Trump dragging them down in the polls, California Republicans are repackaging one of his core crusades into an idea they hope will be more palatable to voters.
They are framing their successful push to get a voter ID law on the November ballot as a “common sense” measure.
“We’ve structured this initiative based on what voters across the political spectrum would want,” Republican Assemblymember Carl DeMaio of San Diego said in a March interview, adding that showing an ID at the polls shouldn’t be any different than using one to buy alcohol or pass airport security.
DeMaio and other backers point to polling that shows 56% of California voters support requiring ID at the ballot box and that most states require or recommend an ID to vote.
But even in their pursuit to appeal to moderates, GOP lawmakers haven’t given up pushing Trump’s debunked claims of widespread voter fraud.
Last month, GOP legislators held a “stop the fraud” press conference, where they alleged without proof rampant corruption across state government, from elections to homelessness programs, and urged Newsom to call a special election to “audit” the alleged fraud.
The polling they point to also shows, however, that support for requiring identification at the polls drops to 39% when voters are told it is backed by DeMaio and could suppress turnout.
Voting rights groups say the measure would create needless barriers and would stifle turnout among low-income and disabled voters.
Current law already requires counties to routinely review voter registration databases to remove anyone who is ineligible to vote in case of a move, incarceration or death.
“Those checks and that maintenance of that list is already happening,” League of Women Voters executive director Jenny Farrell said. “We don’t need to erect new barriers.”
Voter suppression concerns tank voter ID support
If passed, as many as 1 million eligible voters could be kept from voting. Another 500,000 aren’t registered and don’t have the necessary documents it would require, according to UCLA Voting Rights Project director Matt Barreto.
“There’s been a very consistent finding in almost any state, in any environment, that lower-income and working-class voters are less likely to have an updated, valid ID,” he said.
Labor groups who bankrolled Democrats’ campaign for last year’s redistricting proposal, Proposition 50, are funding a similar opposition campaign focused on Trump’s push for a proof-of-citizenship bill in Congress.
Meanwhile, Democrats want to increase penalties for violating election laws after Riverside County Sheriff Chad Bianco, a candidate for governor, seized hundreds of thousands of ballots earlier this year over baseless claims of voter fraud in the 2025 election.
Bianco, who seized the ballots in response to unproven claims from a right-wing activist group, supports voter ID.
Critics say he’s stoking fear among voters and that there are already adequate safeguards.
“We have a two-person rule where no ballots are ever in an area that’s not with at least two people observing what’s happening,” said Gail Pellerin, Democratic chair of the Assembly elections committee, at a UCLA elections panel last month.
Ramping up the base?
Experts agree voter fraud is rare.
However, fears about election integrity have risen among Republicans since Trump falsely claimed the 2020 election was stolen, spurring GOP lawmakers across the country to introduce bills seeking to tighten voter restrictions.
This is DeMaio’s third attempt at a voter ID ballot initiative. It qualified for the ballot last month.
Assemblymember Carl DeMaio announces that supporters of the CA Voter ID Initiative will submit more than 1.3 million signatures to qualify the measure for the November 2026 ballot during a press conference at the west steps of the state Capitol in Sacramento on March 3, 2026.
(
Fred Greaves
/
CalMatters
)
Strategists say there’s little evidence that ballot initiatives actually turn out voters, but this measure is something intended to activate voters in what will likely be a difficult election year for Republicans.
“Issues like this, that are kind of red meat issues for Republicans when the governor’s race is fairly lackluster, it helps,” Stutzman said. “It’s all upside. It’s not going to hurt Republicans to have this on the ballot.”
Following bruising losses after Prop. 50 and in other states, GOP leaders are hoping to hold onto three statehouse seats they flipped in 2024 and gain others. But Trump — and his push for national voter restrictions — threatens Republicans’ success at the ballot box.
“It’s a loop that Republicans keep hammering on, either fraud or ineptitude, or waste in dollars,” Stutzman said. “It’s kind of traditional Republican messaging.”