'Inexcusable And Deplorable:' Vanessa Bryant On Reports First Responders Shared Graphic Photos Of Crash
Vanessa Bryant on Sunday denounced as "inexcusable and deplorable" reports that Los Angeles County first responders shared graphic photos of the helicopter crash site where husband Kobe, their 13-year old daughter and seven others were killed.
Bryant, 37, posted the statement issued by her attorney on Instagram, where she has more than 13 million followers. She has used the social media platform to communicate with the public since making her once private account public shortly after the deadly crash on January 26.
The statement says she is devastated by allegations some L.A. County Sheriff's deputies at the Lost Hills station and some L.A. County firefighters publicly shared crash site photos.
"This is an unspeakable violation of human decency, respect, and of the privacy rights of the victims and their families," the statement said.
The allegations were first reported last week by the Los Angeles Times.
Bryant's attorney, Gary Robb, says she personally went to the sheriff's office the day of the crash to request the site be designated a no-fly zone and protected from photographers to preserve the diginity of victims and their families. Robb says the sheriff assured them all measures would be taken. The Sheriff''s Department on Friday launched an investigation into the allegations in the Times report.
Bryant is demanding an Internal Affairs investigation and wants those responsible to face the harshest possible discipline.
View this post on Instagram
KANSAS CITY, Mo.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—Statement From Gary C. Robb, Legal Counsel on Behalf of His Client, Vanessa Bryant: Our client, Vanessa Bryant, is absolutely devastated by allegations that deputies from the Lost Hills Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and Los Angeles County Fire Department publicly disseminated photos from the helicopter crash site. Mrs. Bryant personally went to the Sheriff's office on January 26th and requested that the area be designated a no-fly zone and protected from photographers. This was of critical importance to her as she desired to protect the dignity of all the victims, and their families. At that time, Sheriff Alex Villanueva assured us all measures would be put in place to protect the families' privacy, and it is our understanding that he has worked hard to honor those requests. First responders should be trustworthy. It is inexcusable and deplorable that some deputies from the Lost Hills Sheriff's substation, other surrounding substations and LACOFD would allegedly breach their duty. This is an unspeakable violation of human decency, respect, and of the privacy rights of the victims and their families. We are demanding that those responsible for these alleged actions face the harshest possible discipline, and that their identities be brought to light, to ensure that the photos are not further disseminated. We are requesting an Internal Affairs investigation of these alleged incidents. Mrs. Bryant is grateful to the individual who filed an online complaint exposing these acts of injustice, and for the choice to protect human dignity. We ask that anyone else who has information as to the facts underlying these alleged grievous and shameful incidents contact our office at 816-474-8080 or email via www.robbrobb.com