Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

E3 is Coming Back to LA Next Year

e3-villaraigosa2.jpg
Photo by Julie Wolfson/LAist
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

“With nearly a half million Angelenos employed by the technology and hospitality sectors, Los Angeles is a perfect fit for E3,” Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said earlier this week welcoming the expo back to Los Angeles and touting how it and its 41,000 attendees bring $15 million to the local economy. Ironically enough, he said that below a banner advertising a game that has players build their own street gang and kill the competition.

For the last two years, E3 was downsized considerably (with much criticism) with only 5,000 gaming industry folks visiting. That changed when they changed the format and attendance jumped.

"Many of those attending will notice that the Downtown LA landscape looks a lot different than the last E3 Expo in 2006,” said Mark Liberman, president and CEO, LA INC., the Los Angeles Convention and Visitors Bureau said, referring to the progress of the downtown boom, especially with the recent opening of LA Live.

And that's a good thing, because E3 will be back next year, June 15-17, 2010.