Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.


Fire Near Mt. Wilson Observatory Now At 50 Acres and 25% Containment

(Photo courtesy of the Angeles National Forest via Twitter)
Before you
Dear reader, we're asking you to help us keep local news available for all. Your tax-deductible financial support keeps our stories free to read, instead of hidden behind paywalls. We believe when reliable local reporting is widely available, the entire community benefits. Thank you for investing in your neighborhood.

A fire that broke out before dawn Tuesday morning in the Angeles National Forest near Mt. Wilson Observatory is now at 50 acres and 25% containment, according to authorities.

A spokesperson for Angeles National Forest told LAist that those numbers had been updated earlier this morning, and that they would likely have more information later in the day. The fire was estimated to have engulfed 30 acres yesterday afternoon; the L.A. Times reports that the increase in size to 50 acres "was not due to the fire growing but a more accurate estimate Wednesday morning."

Authorities previously reported that 20 structures were threatened by the fire, but no damage has yet been reported. Beyond the historic observatory, there are also a number of critical communication towers on the mountain.

Support for LAist comes from

The rocky terrain in the area has made containing the blaze more difficult for firefighters. Angeles National Forest spokeswoman Seneca Smith told the L.A. Times that the fire was affecting an area that's “very steep and rocky and inacessible by foot.”

“It could be several days before we see full containment,” she said.