Celebrate California Public Radio Day!

Support LAist to keep trusted local news strong and help unlock a $20k challenge.
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Fire Near Mt. Wilson Observatory Now At 50 Acres and 25% Containment

wilsonfire2.jpg
(Photo courtesy of the Angeles National Forest via Twitter)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

A fire that broke out before dawn Tuesday morning in the Angeles National Forest near Mt. Wilson Observatory is now at 50 acres and 25% containment, according to authorities.

A spokesperson for Angeles National Forest told LAist that those numbers had been updated earlier this morning, and that they would likely have more information later in the day. The fire was estimated to have engulfed 30 acres yesterday afternoon; the L.A. Times reports that the increase in size to 50 acres "was not due to the fire growing but a more accurate estimate Wednesday morning."

Authorities previously reported that 20 structures were threatened by the fire, but no damage has yet been reported. Beyond the historic observatory, there are also a number of critical communication towers on the mountain.

The rocky terrain in the area has made containing the blaze more difficult for firefighters. Angeles National Forest spokeswoman Seneca Smith told the L.A. Times that the fire was affecting an area that's “very steep and rocky and inacessible by foot.”

“It could be several days before we see full containment,” she said.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today