This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
- DCist went nuts over some new glamour shots of the National Zoo's adorable clouded leopard cubs.
- Torontoist has something for your architecture nerds: a look at the very best and very worst new buildings in their city, all of which are nominees up for public praising or shaming in this year's Pug Awards.
- Bostonist mixed it up with our nemeses Regretsy and Joe Lieberman.
- Shanghaiist mourned the death of a Chinese man killed by friends that inserted an eel up his ass.
- Chicagoist learned you shouldn't wear a t-shirt with a certain naughty word on it to court or risk getting jailed (but at least you can sue in retaliation).
- LAist learned about the mental health problems that prompted a woman to stab 4 strangers inside the Target in West Hollywood.
- Seattlest responded to the recent arrival of TechCrunch blogger Michael Arrington with the same welcome the rest of our fair city has given him - a resounding "meh."
- Gothamist learned that a car bomb in Times Square, planted by a Connecticut man, was meant to become a dangerous fireball. Thank goodness for vendors, but now Times Square is getting shut down for suspicious ham sandwiches and water coolers.
- Houstonist caught up with former Astro Morgan Ensberg and his quest to become a full-time broadcaster.
- Phillyist took a moment to reflect on assholes at sporting events following tasergate and the next day's copycat field runner.
- SFist talked about another anti-gay leader caught dipping his toes in the homosexual pond.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.