This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
- Gothamist was surprised, but not really that surprised, when the NYPD removed dozens of bikes—without warning—along President Obama's motorcade route. The damaged bikes are ready for their owners to pick them up tomorrow.
- Chicagoist marveled at local comic-book artist Chris Ware's rejected cover for Fortune magazine.
- Phillyist recommends that, if you're running the legendary Penn Relays, you refrain from dining on escolar the evening before.
- Torontoist got the first look at a new repertory theater opening in their city, the Toronto Underground Cinema.
- Londonist was flooded with nominations for best London film and relished a few more amazing days of clear blue skies thanks to the Icelandic 'cat-ash-trophe'.
- Shanghaiist was floored by Chinese pianist Lang Lang's performance of "Flight of the Bumblebee" on his iPad.
- Bostonist learned about Owen Pallett's chin-up fantasies.
- LAist talked with Unique LA founder Sonja Rasula about the importance of buying local, handmade goods and how her wildly successful shopping event came to be.
- SFist welcomed new Banksy artwork to the neighborhood.
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.