This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Week Around the Ists
- Gothamist was on hand for all the Mayor Bloomberg's visit and claim that the park needed to be cleaned to the cleaning's postponement (and violent clashes with police) and yesterday's huge march on Times Square. Musicians like Tom Morello and Amanda Palmer sang to the crowd, and, yes, Kanye West was there.
- SFist watched Occupy SF block the Wells Fargo headquarters and protest Jeb Bush.
- Austinist interviewed OMD's Paul Humphreys and checked out OMD's show.
- Chicagoist went behind the scenes to cover the building of the Chicago area's newest haunted house.
- DCist readers finally found an action of the D.C. Council they could rally behind: giving restaurants and bars the go-ahead to start serving alcohol at 8 a.m. on Sundays and certain retailers the right to sell booze until midnight.
- Shanghaiist was horrified by video footage of a two-year-old toddler getting run over by two vehicles, then ignored by everybody but a trash collector.
- We learned that Forbes thinks we live in the most stressful city in the country.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.