Week Around the Ists
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- Gothamist got a double dose of pop culture invading reality: A woman based her sex life on Sex and the City's Samantha Jones and Darth Vader robbed a Long Island bank.
- DCist covered the testy battle between a popular local cafe and the advisory neighborhood commission which coarsely opposed the cafe's application for an alcohol license.
- LAist took on the not-too-terribly-awful task (wink) of locating and eating all the restaurant Lobster Rolls in the city, and proclaimed the best...and worst.
- SFist worried about a $150,000 Target donation that helped promote an anti-gay Minnesota gubernatorial candidate. The retail chain wants to open their first two stores in San Francisco by 2012.
- Chicagoist rocked out and survived the heat at the annual Pitchfork Music Festival. [Recaps: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3; Photos]
- Londonist turned upper-class, with a visit to the Chap Olympiad (umbrella jousting, pipe-smokers' relay, cucumber sandwich discus...), then sprinted away from a swarm of bees, which invaded Soho.
- Torontoist only has a few months before their city goes to the polls to pick a new mayor, and boy are the current slate of candidates bad.
- Shanghaiist was surprised when police actually apologizing for beating up someone, even if it was only because they realized too late that the "petitioner" they punched and kicked for 16 minutes was actually an official's wife.
- Bostonist traveled to New Orleans for Tales of the Cocktail, tracking Boston bartenders and attending sessions about umami.