Week Around the Ists
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Chicagoist marveled at movie magic as downtown was turned into a war zone for filming of the upcoming let-down Transformers 3 (even if it did snarl traffic).
- Gothamist was shocked to hear that 400 Canada geese were euthanized in Prospect Park, apparently to keep geese numbers down, lest they fly into planes.
- DCist spent its week wondering if it had relocated to the west coast: D.C. was named North America's most "veg-friendly" city, the District government took a street vending survey and there was even an earthquake.
- Torontoist watched from the sidelines as 4chan tried to get a Toronto condo named after m00t, their founder.
- Shanghaiist found a cafe in Beijing modeled exactly after Central Perk from the TV show Friends.
- LAist finally got readers interested in local politics when they announced that a cyclist activist (and onetime LAist contributor) was running for City Council.
- Londonist peered into the sewers beneath Leicester Square, where workers are chiselling away at 'fatbergs'. They also sought nominations for London's ugliest new building.
- SFist liveblogged an Apple press conference about a phone.