Week Around the Ists
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
Your donation today keeps LAist independent, ready to meet the needs of our city, and paywall free. Thank you for your partnership, we can't do this without you.
- Shanghaiist documented the opening of its first Apple Store, a giant cylindered affair in our central business district. We also took a sneak peek at their newish "Briefing Room" strategy for enticing business users, and posed with theirexclusiveShanghai products.
- LAist got caught up in the Lindsay Lohan courtroom saga and watched as the former teen starlet was handed a 90-day jail sentence for a pair of '07 DUIs.
- Gothamist felt the highlight of the Nathan's Fourth of July Hot Dog Eating Contest was the bizarre arrest of former champion Takeru Kobayashi, who later revealed he only had a sandwich and milk while in jail and wished there were hot dogs.
- Bostonist debated what it means to be a regular.
- DCist was on the scene of a stinky oil spill that shut down traffic for hours on one of the city's busiest corridors and reminded its readers that narrow alleyways probably aren't the best places to set off fireworks.
- SFist covered the verdict of Johannes Mehserle, the police officer found guilty of killing Oscar Grant on a BART platform on New Year's Day 2009.
- Torontoist applauded Brian Burke, Toronto Maple Leafs President and
General Manager, who marched in Toronto's Pride parade—without his son Brendan, who died in February.
- Chicagoist followed the drama as the City Park District shut down the Book Bike - a mobile, one-man library that gives away books for free - for not obtaining the proper permits and paying the required fees.
- Seattlest provided a photo gallery of what the end of the world will look like as the Emerald City won back the Guinness World Record for the largest ever gathering of zombies, or at least people dressed like zombies.
- Londonist salivated at the prospect of a cable car over the River Thames then fooled readers with a possibly Photoshopped alternative crossing.
- Phillyist is pretending it's college all over again and taking a little summer vacation.