Support for LAist comes from
True LA stories, powered by you
Stay Connected

Share This

News

'Inexcusable And Deplorable:' Vanessa Bryant On Reports First Responders Shared Graphic Photos Of Crash

5e5c2106b555c5000abe2daa-eight.jpg
Vanessa Bryant speaks during the public memorial to her husband and daughter held last week at Staples Center (Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images)
LAist needs your reader support
You can power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today during our June Member drive.

Vanessa Bryant on Sunday denounced as "inexcusable and deplorable" reports that Los Angeles County first responders shared graphic photos of the helicopter crash site where husband Kobe, their 13-year old daughter and seven others were killed.

Bryant, 37, posted the statement issued by her attorney on Instagram, where she has more than 13 million followers. She has used the social media platform to communicate with the public since making her once private account public shortly after the deadly crash on January 26.

The statement says she is devastated by allegations some L.A. County Sheriff's deputies at the Lost Hills station and some L.A. County firefighters publicly shared crash site photos.

"This is an unspeakable violation of human decency, respect, and of the privacy rights of the victims and their families," the statement said.

Support for LAist comes from

The allegations were first reported last week by the Los Angeles Times.

Bryant's attorney, Gary Robb, says she personally went to the sheriff's office the day of the crash to request the site be designated a no-fly zone and protected from photographers to preserve the diginity of victims and their families. Robb says the sheriff assured them all measures would be taken. The Sheriff''s Department on Friday launched an investigation into the allegations in the Times report.

Bryant is demanding an Internal Affairs investigation and wants those responsible to face the harshest possible discipline.