What We Know About The 30 Horses That Died At Santa Anita in the 2018-19 Season
The racing season that ran from December 2018 through June 2019 at Santa Anita Park left 30 horses dead. The fatal incidents occurred during both racing and training, despite park officials' repeated assurances to the public that the track is safe.
The L.A. Times reported that the deaths of two horses on June 8 and 9 -- including a horse euthanized after suffering a broken pelvis in a race -- prompted the California Horse Racing Board to call on Santa Anita officials to end the season early.
The Times reported that the CHRB said Santa Anita officials declined the request. The newspaper quoted a statement from the CHRB in which the board said that park officials had determined the "future of California racing is best served by continuing to race."
Governor Gavin Newsom has thrown his support behind a bill that would give the racing board the authority to shut down racetracks on short notice.
All told, 39 horses died at Santa Anita in the fiscal year that runs from July 1, 2018 through June 2019, according to Mike Marten, spokesman for the racing board.
Although the deaths of horses this year has attracted a lot of attention -- and protests -- the number is actually low compared with recent years. According to the CHRB's annual reports, 44 horses died at the park in fiscal year 2017-2018 due to racing and other factors. In 2016-2017, 64 horses died, and in 2015-2016, the death toll was 62 horses.
Here's the list of horse fatalities at Santa Anita in the 2018-2019season, as well as what's available about the circumstances leading to each horse's death:
- Psychedelicat - Died on December 30, 2018 after racing on a dirt track.
- Tank Team - Two-year-old, died on January 4, 2019 on a downhill turf course.
- Unusual Angel - Two-year-old, died on January 4, 2019 on a downhill turf course.
- Secret Street - Died on January 8, 2019 after training on a dirt track.
- Derby Treasure - Three-year-old, died on January 11, 2019 after racing on a dirt track.
- Noise Mandate - Died on January 18, 2019 after racing on a dirt track.
- Amboseli - Six-year-old, died on January 20, 2019 after racing on a downhill turf course.
- Last Promise Kept - Four-year-old, died on January 21, 2019 after racing on the turf.
- Like Really Smart - Two-year-old, died on January 21, 2019 after racing on the dirt.
- Dancing Harbor - Died on January 23, 2019 after training on the dirt.
- Spitfire - Died on January 25, 2019 after training on a dirt track.
- Kid Cantina - Three-year-old, fatally injured on her third birthday, February 2, 2019 after racing on the dirt.
- Comegowithme - Died on February 6, 2019 after racing on the dirt.
- Jager Time - Died on February 17, 2019 after training on the dirt.
- Unusual Rider - Died on February 18, 2019 after training on the dirt.
- Hot American - Three-year-old, died on February 22, 2019 after racing on a turf track.
- Just Forget It - Four-year-old male, died on February 23, 2019 after training on the dirt.
- Battle of Midway - Died on February 23, 2019 after suffering a fracture in his hind leg while training on the dirt.
- Charmer John - Died on February 25, 2019 after training on the dirt.
- Eskenforadrink - Two-year-old, died on March 3, 2019 after racing on a dirt track.
- Lets Light the Way - Four-year-old filly, died on March 5, 2019 after suffering a shattered sesamoid, or a bone in the knee or the foot, while training on the dirt.
- Princess Lili B - Died on March 14, 2019 after breaking both front legs while training on the dirt.
- Arms Runner - Five-year-old, died on March 31, 2019 after suffering an injury to his right front leg and colliding with another horse while racing on turf.
- Commander Coil - Three-year-old male, died on May 17, 2019 after suffering a shoulder injury while training on the dirt.
- Spectacular Music - Three-year-old, died on May 19, 2019 after racing on the dirt.
- Kochees - Nine-year-old, died on May 25, 2019 after racing on the dirt.
- Derby River - Two-year-old, died on June 5, 2019 after sustaining a fractured shoulder during training.
- Formal Dude - Four-year-old died June 8, 2019 after he fractured his pelvis during a race on the dirt track and was euthanized.
- Truffalino - Three-year-old filly collapsed and died June 9, 2019, near the finish line of a race
- American Currency - Four-year-old gelding died June 22, 2019, euthanized after suffering a leg injury on the training track.
June 10, 7:30 a.m.: This article was updated with information about Truffalino.
June 9, 5:36 p.m.: This article was updated with information about Formal Dude as well as information about the CHRB calling for an end to racing.
2:05 p.m.: This article was updated with information about the death of Derby River.
This article was originally published on May 28 at 4:45 p.m.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.