Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Suge Knight Is Officially Going To Trial For Murder

2015_03_sugeknight.jpg
Suge Knight in court on March 9, 2015 (Getty Images)
Today on Giving Tuesday, LAist needs your support.
Today, your donation to LAist will be matched dollar for dollar. Your tax-deductible that gift powers our reporters and keeps us independent will be felt twice as strong today, so don't delay!


Former rap mogul Marion "Suge" Knight will stand trial on murder and attempted murder charges for running over two people in Compton in January, killing one of them.Judge Ronald Coen ruled on Thursday morning that there was enough evidence to move forward with the murder trial against Knight, even though the surviving man that Knight hit claims he doesn't remember any of the events. "I'm no snitch... I will not be used to send Suge Knight to prison," said Cle "Bone" Sloan in court. Sloan was knocked unconscious and suffered serious injuries, says the L.A. Times, while Terry Carter was killed.

The incident occurred on January 29 on a film set at Tam's Burgers in Compton, and was captured on surveillance camera. Reportedly, Knight, who was a major player in West Coast rap in the early 90s, was unhappy with how he was portrayed in the forthcoming N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton. In the first trailer for the film released, you can see the the Tam's Burger stand at the 0:40 mark.

Knight's attorneys say he acted in self-defense, and that he was trying to drive away after he was attacked by either Sloan or Carter.

Even though Sloan had previously provided information to detectives about the events of that day, he has since testified that it's "all a blur." Despite this, Sloan's attorney thinks what his client previously told investigators is all true. "He marches to his own beat," said Sloan's attorney.