Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Multiple Stabbings And Officer-Involved Shooting Reported In Skid Row Area

unnamed_skidrow.jpg
At the scene of the incident. (Photo by Julia Wick/LAist)

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Multiple people were stabbed in the Skid Row area on Friday, leading to an officer-involved shooting, according to an LAPD spokesperson. The department first received reports of the stabbing incident at 11:54 a.m.

Officer Tony Im told LAist that he could confirm that one person had been shot and one person had been stabbed

Darryl Dillihunt, who did not see the incident transpire, told LAist that he came upon one of the victims on the sidewalk of Crocker Street bent down on his knees.

"I seen the brother bleeding," Dillihunt said. "His arm artery was jumping, just kicking out blood," he continued, adding that he used a rag to tie the victim's arm up to stop the bleeding. "I calmed him down because he didn't want to die, so I said 'I got you.' The next thing I knew the LAPD came with an ambulance and I got out of the way." Dillihunt told LAist that this victim appeared to be in his fifties.

It's not yet known how many victims in total were involved. We will update this story as more information becomes available.

Update [1:30 p.m.]: The L.A. Times is reporting that witnesses told police that they saw someone stab at least three people.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today