Schwarzenegger: Why Don't You Try Fixing the Budget?
Now that's Government 2.0, or whatever, at its prime.
So, this is how we did, amazingly earning the state an extra $840 million. Of course, that came at the expense of the education system and your taxes. Here's how we solved the budget crisis, making enemies the whole:
- Slashed $5.3 billion from K-12 Schools and Community Colleges
- We also took an additional $4.6 billion from the Community College system, closing it down entirely.
- Cut $1.5 billion from the UC and CSU System
- We taxed cigarettes at $1.50 a pack, that's $1.2 billion in revenue
- We raised $5 billion by taxing the top income-tax bracket more
- Adding a nickel per alcoholic drink raised $585 million.
- Raise the gas tax a shocking 32-cents per gallon and that's $5.8 billion
- Lastly, an oil severance tax to any producer pumping oil from California lands and water raised $855 million.
Well, we did it, without getting a death threat from teachers, students, smokers, commuters and just about everyone... yet.
How'd you do? A discussion is happening over at LA Now and the Governor's Office is using Flickr to collect screenshots like ours above. Of course, you can chime in below, too.