Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.

This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.

News

Samohi Cancels Scientology-Sponsored Anti-Drug Program After Parents Freak Out About Scientology Affiliation

SaMoHi.jpg
Photo via Santa Monica High School/Facebook

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Santa Monica High School canceled an anti-drug program that was sorta sponsored by the Church of Scientology after parents freaked out over the, uh, Scientology connection. The Hollywood Reporter, who broke the story, reports that The Foundation for a Drug-Free World held three recent morning assemblies for ninth and tenth grade students and had substance abuse prevention lectures scheduled at the school. The foundation, which the Hollywood Reporter describes as "one of the religion's social-betterment initiatives," also held a workshop for 200-some Samohi parents on May 9, which is when word of the Scientology affiliation first began to spread. The school agreed to discontinue the program after a number of families voiced their discontent. CBS LA reports that the school has agreed not to host any more programs with the Scientology-backed group.

The Church of Scientology launched the Foundation for a Drug-Free World in October 2006, about a year after then-State Superintendent Jack O'Connell urged all California schools to drop their affiliation with Scientology's former anti-drug program Narconon, which a state evaluation concluded offered "inaccurate and unscientific information," according to SF Gate. The state evaluation found that the Narconon program "may also lead students to discredit the schools’ drug prevention program and distrust educators.” According to the controversial organization's website, Scientology is "a religion that offers a precise path leading to a complete and certain understanding of one’s true spiritual nature and one’s relationship to self, family, groups, Mankind, all life forms, the material universe, the spiritual universe and the Supreme Being."

The Foundation for a Drug Free World has previously come under fire for their programming at New York City public schools (according to our friends at DNAinfo New York, the foundation presented at 30 city public schools in 2014).

Santa Monica-Malibu Unified School District spokeswoman Gail Pinsker told the Hollywood Reporter that the school’s principal, Dr. Antonio Shelton, “fully vetted this organization and felt that it would be excellent for our students,” adding that “the presentations and materials do not have any reference or mention of Scientology.” In fairness to Samohi, the word "Scientology" does not appear anywhere on the foundation's homepage, though a quick Google search pulls up plenty of results. And, according to the section about the foundation on Scientology's own website, "The Church of Scientology International Dissemination and Distribution Center in Los Angeles, California, stands at the heart of the global humanitarian initiatives supported by Churches of Scientology and Scientologists."

“I think that the principal was doing what he thought was an informative program because the community has been concerned about some of these issues,” Sheila Spencer, a member of the PTA, told CBS LA. The school community has dealt with a number of drug-related incidents recently, including the death of a 15-year-old studentwho fell off a roof while on LSD.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today