This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Here Are The Streets To Avoid During This Week's Rainy Obamajam
It's time for another edition of Obamajam, the traffic obstacle course that ensues whenever our Commander in Chief rolls into time. This installment has the added bonus of rain, which should make for even crummier traffic. Here are the streets to avoid, according to the United States Secret Service: Monday, October 24
- 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: Highland Avenue between Franklin Avenue & Sunset Boulevard
- 3 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.: The US-101 & I-405 freeways
- 3 p.m. to 8 p.m.: The area around Sunset Boulevard between Woodburn Drive & N. Palm Drive
- Eastbound and westbound lanes of Hollywood Boulevard between Highland and N. Orange will be closed to car traffic between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.
- Eastbound and Westbound lanes of Hawthorne Avenue between Highland and N. Orange will be closed to car traffic because 1 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Northbound and southbound lanes of N. Loma Vista Drive between Wallace Ridge and Dabney will be closed to car traffic between 5 p.m. and 7 p.m.
Tuesday, October 25
- 10 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.: The area around Sunset Boulevard between Woodburn Drive & Palm Drive
- 11:30 p.m. to 1 p.m.: The I-405 & I-10 freeways
- Noon to 1 p.m.: The area around S. Centinela Avenue between Ocean Park Boulevard & W. Pico Boulevard
- Eastbound and westbound lanes of Sunset Boulevard will be closed to car traffic between N. Whittier and N. Bedford from 10:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m.
It should be noted that the closures will not impact any bus routes, so feel free to Metro as usual.
President Obama is in town to appear as a guest on the Jimmy Kimmel Live, which films in Hollywood, and to speak at a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton. The fundraiser will be held at DreamWorks CEO Jeffery Katzenberg and his wife Marilyn's place in Beverly Hills.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.