LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.
- Arcadia High's prom is being edited. The school's Women's Health and Issues Club has gotten 20 songs banned from being played at prom because they are degrading to women - referring to them as "'bitches' and 'hos.'" Only 20 songs? Looks like the Electric Slide will finally get its 3-hour solo.
- Green LA Girl is challenging you to a week-long-eco-challenge. Can you go a week without a car?
- Speaking of going without a car, did you celebrate Bike to Work Day, today?
- Tijuana and Hollywood might as well be cousins-first-removed. Don't believe it? Stop by Farmlab tomorrow at noon to hear Jim Heimann guide you through Tijuana's link to Tinseltown.
- Sad story in Encino this morning. A fiery car crash left two dead at Burbank Boulevard near Balboa Boulevard. The cause of the crash is unknown.
- SoCal's Modern Hiker is covering an interesting story out of Utah. Long story short, President Clinton protected some land from motorized traffic (ATV's), Bush lifted the ban and people went hog wild off-roadin', now Obama wants to put the protection back on the land. The ATV riders are none too happy about this...
- There was a crazy robbery today in Lake Forest when shotgun carrying robbers stole thousands of dollars of goods and about 70 iPhones from an AT&T store. Nobody was hurt, and the getaway car was found abandoned a short time later. One would expect to see the sale of iPhones on craigslist to spike, no?
- Full Street Closure Announcement - "Up" Premiere Date/Time: From Friday, May 15, 2009 10:00 a.m. to Sunday, May 17, 2009 12:00 a.m. Details: All eastbound lanes of Hollywood Blvd., between Highland Ave. and Orange Dr., will be closed from 10 a.m. on May 15 to 3 a.m. on May 16. All lanes of Hollywood Blvd., between Highland Ave. and Orange Dr., will be closed from 3 a.m. on May 16 to 12 a.m. on May 17. (via Press Release)
- Want to Win tix to the Theatre@Boston Court's Vampire Show in Pasadena? Head on over here and let us know where you'd eat before or after the play!