With our free press under threat and federal funding for public media gone, your support matters more than ever. Help keep the LAist newsroom strong, become a monthly member or increase your support today.
California Legislature gets nearly $300 billion budget done
Five days before the new fiscal year begins, California lawmakers voted Wednesday night to approve the budget deal announced by the Legislature’s Democratic leaders and Gov. Gavin Newsom.
The outcome was never in doubt since the agreement was unveiled Saturday: Democrats control both the Assembly and Senate and don’t need any Republican votes to pass budgets.
But that didn’t stop some Republicans from taking the opportunity to complain about the closed-door decision-making on how the state will spend nearly $300 billion over the next year.
- Roseville Sen. Roger Niello, budget committee vice chairperson: “This is the majority’s party budget. … (It) ignores the priorities of 8 million residents of this state because none of my Republican colleagues were involved.”
In his criticisms, Republican Sen. Brian Dahle of Redding focused on the struggles of small businesses, arguing that increasing costs and regulations will negatively impact subsequent generations.
Democrats, including Senate leader Mike McGuire of Santa Rosa, defended the budget process and the deal, saying the Legislature held more than a hundred public hearings.
- McGuire: “No matter if you’re a Democrat or a Republican or no party preference, you’re going to benefit from this budget because it puts people first. … This budget is responsible and it’s deserving of our support.”
The budget covers a $56 billion shortfall over the next two years by cutting some programs, delaying others and dipping into reserves. To take money from the state’s rainy day fund, Newsom on Wednesday issued the official proclamation declaring a budget emergency. The budget bills now go to the governor for his signature.
-
The multi-family homes were red tagged by authorities late Wednesday.
-
In Southern California, Long Beach City College is bucking national trends.
-
Shop owners got 30-day notices to vacate this week but said the new owners reached out to extend that another 30 days. This comes after its weekly swap meet permanently shut down earlier this month.
-
San Bernardino County Sheriff Shannon Dicus said it could be a week before residents can get out of their homes and down the mountain.
-
The Theodore Payne Foundation Wild Flower Hotline celebrates its 40th year, providing weekly updates on California’s beautiful blooms.
-
It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.