This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Photo: L.A. County Rescuing a Woman in Haiti
The team of Los Angeles County search & rescue specialists deployed to Haiti have already rescued a handful of people from the rubble. The trip has been an opportunity for L.A. County to catch up with the LAFD in entering Web 2.0 with a new Twitter account and Facebook page, which has been mostly keeping residents up to date with the rescue efforts, but also some local information bout the current rainstorm.
Here are a few dramatic Facebook updates, demonstrating what our firefighters are doing:
- Mon at 9am: This 3-story apartment complex had been the site that USA-2 Blue Squad was engaged upon last night and from which they were also able to rescue two sisters (19 and 20 years-old) prior to this last 31 year-old victim... The last victim was found after the two rescued sisters reported hearing sounds of verbal communication below them, deep beneath the rubble. This prompted USA-2 Blue Squad rescuers to continue excavating only to find the victim 15 feet below their initial rescues.
- Sun at 10:27pm: USA-2 Red Squad conducted the second rescue which involved a 50 year-old woman that had been trapped within the remains of a collapsed 2-story bank. Upon extrication, the victim appeared very dehydrated but with only slight injuries to her hands.
- Sun at 1:30pm: USA-2 Blue Squad is now responding to another site, in which a by-stander has reported hearing verbal communication from within the collapsed structure.
- Sun at 1:27pm: USA-2 Blue Squad has successfully rescued the entrapped 30 year-old female from the collapsed hotel site. The victim was awake and talking as she was transported to the hospital.
- Sun at 12:13pm: As of 12:30 local-time, USA-2 Blue Squad has been engaged in rescue on a 3 story pancake collapsed hotel building in which a 30 year-old female is currently trapped from the waist down. The squad was initially flagged down by a UN member.
- Sat at 9:56pm: Despite over 5 hours of aggressive rescue efforts, USA-2 Blue Squad was unable to affect a successful rescue at the day care site. Following nearly 2 hours of no-response within the limited access of the structural remains, and no further potential detection of life by canine units; the rescue efforts were called off.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.