This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
Extra, Extra: Guess Who's Back
"Starbucks/Tower Records" Photo by Lisa Borodkin
- The above photo was taken today at the Virgin Megastore on Sunset/Crescent Heights. Just when you thought Starbucks was on the defense, they're back and staking claim on real estate formerly occupied by the beloved Virgin Megastore.
- Redondo is following the lead of it's sister to the north, Santa Monica, in having an ice skating rink for the winter season. The Redondo rink called "Seaside Ice" will open today for the next 55 days
- In Beverly Hills, celebrity-clad neighborhood A can sue neighborhood B for increased traffic in A due to gardeners and guests driving through A to get to B.
- Man peers into cars in a Target parking lot. Officers confront the man behind the store. Man grabs baton from Officer and beats Officers. Officers shoot the man dead.
- So, Barack won the election fair and square, right? Wrong! says a Buena Park pastor who filed a suit to keep Obama out of office. Pastor Wiley Drake (who ran for Vice President with Pres. candidate Alan Keyes under the American Independent party) claims that Obama was born in Kenya, therefore not a US citizen, therefore not the president-elect.
- You think your life is bad, at least you're not Britney Spears. The refomed Pop Princess thinks that jail is better than her life.
- Who says that Barack isn't helping small town consumers? Because of the President-elect winning, Principessa in Venice is offering 20% off their inventory!
- The trial begins tomorrow for one Red Sox fan who, back in 2004, assaulted a (supposedly) drug & alcohol fueled Angels fan who taunted him. Apparently, Angels fan Daniel Slama, now 33 bopped David Hackman, 37 on the head with one of those "thunder sticks" which led to Hackman's assault on Slama. Hackman is facing a max of 3 years in prison if charged.