Sponsored message
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

They Set 1,800 Traps At LA's City Hall And When They Checked Them: No Fleas

Los Angeles City Hall. (Matt Tinoco/LAist)

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Three hours into Friday's meeting of the L.A. City Council, city staff reported back on what they found -- or rather, didn't find -- after inspecting City Hall and several adjacent buildings for rats and fleas.

City staff, along with workers in L.A. County's health department, placed 1,800 flea traps in the floors and ceilings of Los Angeles' halls of power. And then they checked them.

"An analysis of the traps revealed that we had found silverfish and some occasional invaders such as millipedes," said David Paschal, an assistant general manager for the city's general services department. "No fleas after we examined those 1,800 traps."

Paschal added that some rat droppings were found on some of the lower floors in L.A. City Hall, but burrows were found only outside the building.

"We recognized immediately that rodents are living in the planters and living in the soil that's adjacent to the buildings in the civic center," said Paschal.

The report came more than a month after a deputy city attorney went public with claims she had contracted typhus after being bit by fleas while working in her office in City Hall East. She took her story to KNBC. A few days later, city council President Herb Wesson authored a motion calling for an investigation of vermin in the civic center, and an audit of how city employees store food and dispose of their trash. He also proposed removing all the carpets in the building.


Sponsored message

READ MORE: LA City Hall Has A Rodent Problem. Downtown Has A Typhus Outbreak. Here Are The Facts


That meant more headlines about typhus in downtown Los Angeles.

This image depicts a female Oriental rat flea, Xenopsylla cheopis. (Photo by James Gathany/Courtesy of CDC/Ken Gage)

The flea-borne disease has been in the news since the county health department first declared a "typhus outbreak" in downtown Los Angeles last year. That initial declaration prompted national headlines, and drew attention to the deplorable conditions fostered on the street by Los Angeles' homelessness crisis, particularly in Skid Row.

But some homeless advocates called foul, saying the outbreak declaration was driven by politics, not public health.

"It's highly, highly suspicious," said "General" Jeff Page, often referred to as the de-facto Mayor of Skid Row, to LAist in October. "I see it as a result of the business sector putting pressure on the Mayor and the City Council to do something now about Skid Row's conditions."

Sponsored message

The reason some questioned the timing? It came as Los Angeles was weighing whether or not to settle a polarizing lawsuit filed by several Skid Row residents. A temporary restraining order issued by a federal judge in 2016 had made it much harder to do encampment clean-ups in Skid Row.

The case, Mitchell v. Los Angeles, hinged on whether the city violated the constitutional rights of homeless people by seizing their property off the street and destroying it.


READ MORE: Is The Skid Row Typhus Outbreak A Manufactured Crisis?


Many in the downtown business and development sector pushed the city try the case in federal court, out of concern that a settlement would continue to complicate clean-up efforts.

Against the wishes of the business community, the city council voted this week to settle the case.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today