Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
News

Morning Brief: Bearing Witness

One year ago, Congress defunded public media. Now that we're 100% community funded, please become a sustaining member or increase your existing membership today.

Good morning, L.A.

Even as ICUs in Southern California remain completely full and coronavirus cases continue to overwhelm the medical system, L.A. County’s health department has agreed to let places of worship conduct services either outdoors or indoors.

In a statement released over the weekend, officials said that religious services could continue, “with mandatory physical distancing and face coverings over both the nose and mouth that must be worn at all times while on site.”

The announcement is a response to a decision by the Supreme Court, which held that barring or restricting religious services — even during a deadly pandemic — was in violation of the First Amendment. The decision stemmed from a lawsuit filed against the state of California by the Pasadena-based Harvest Rock Church.

In their decision, the Supreme Court justices wrote: "The Constitution cannot be put away and forgotten … the restrictions at issue here, by effectively barring many from attending religious services, strike at the very heart of the First Amendment’s guarantee of religious liberty."

Keep reading for more on what’s happening in L.A. today, and stay safe out there.


Sponsored message

What You Need To Know Today

Coronavirus Numbers: L.A. County’s Department of Public Health confirmed 13,315 new cases of the coronavirus on Sunday, and 58 new deaths attributed to the disease. Health officials said that “L.A. County is experiencing the fastest acceleration of new cases than at any other time during the pandemic.”

A System Overwhelmed: As calls from COVID-19 patients flood L.A. County’s medical system, the area’s ambulances and emergency rooms are being stretched to capacity. Some ambulance drivers report waiting up to six hours to unload patients at hospitals, and their standard response time to 9-1-1 calls has grown from nine to 12 minutes.

Final Goodbyes: L.A.'s civil rights community is mourning the loss of attorney Rose Ochi, who died earlier this month. She was the first Asian American woman to become an Assistant Attorney General.


Help Us Cover Your Community

  • Got something you’ve always wanted to know about Southern California and the people who call it home? Is there an issue you want us to cover? Ask us anything.
  • Have a tip about news on which we should dig deeper? Let us know.

The news cycle moves fast. Some stories don't pan out. Others get added. Consider this today's first draft, and check LAist.com for updates on these stories and more. Follow us on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

Sponsored message

Never miss an LAist story. Sign up for our daily newsletters.

One year ago, Congress voted to defund public media, eliminating a critical $1.7 million from our budget every year going forward. But they couldn’t silence us, and we’re not going anywhere. LAist is now 100% community funded and that means we’re taking our future into our own hands and turning to you to keep local reporting strong.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our nonprofit newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our communities. We are free to follow facts wherever they lead and to hold power to account without fear or favor. Our only loyalty is to our readers and listeners and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen Southern California’s communities.

If this story helped you, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today