Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

Man Dies After Eating Mushrooms Picked in a Park

poisonosmushrooms.jpeg
LAist relies on your reader support.
Your tax-deductible gift today powers our reporters and keeps us independent. We rely on you, our reader, not paywalls to stay funded because we believe important news and information should be freely accessible to all.

If you are into urban foraging, beware of the consequences if you are not savvy to what you pick. A man in Santa Barbara died last week after chose the wrong mushrooms in a park to saute with his steak. "The man had picked poisonous amanita ocreata mushrooms, which are common in the Santa Barbara area, at the Douglas Family Preserve above Arroyo Burro Beach," reported the Associated Press. Six hours after eating his meal, he was in the hospital.