Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

L.A. County Announces 334 New Coronavirus Cases, 24 New Deaths

5e6a8b12b555c5000abe3945-eight.jpg
(Screenshot from County of Los Angeles live stream)
LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Our news is free on LAist. To make sure you get our coverage: Sign up for our daily coronavirus newsletter. To support our non-profit public service journalism: Donate Now.

The L.A. County Department of Public Health has confirmed 24 new deaths and 334 new cases of the coronavirus. This brings the county's total deaths to 600 and cases to 12,341.

Of the 24 people who died:

  • 16 were over the age of 65
  • 4 were between the ages of 41 to 65
  • 3 were between the ages of 18 to 40

Another death was reported by Long Beach, so the age was not immediately available.
According to the county release, all but one person who died had an underlying health condition, although additional information provided does not match that total.

Support for LAist comes from

The day's report marked a significant decrease from the 81 deaths reported Saturday, the highest daily toll so far.

L.A. County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said in a news release:

"Though there are promising signs that our collective efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19 are working, we are sad to report today that more Angelenos have lost their lives to COVID-19, and their loved ones are in our hearts as they mourn".

Ferrer said there "there is evidence that our physical distancing efforts are working."

Overall, as of Sunday, 89% of people whose deaths are connected to COVID-19 had underlying health conditions, and 29% of people who tested positive have been hospitalized at some point during their illness.