Support for LAist comes from
We Explain L.A.
Stay Connected

Share This

News

New Report Says Stay On Track With Westside Subway Development

LAist relies on your reader support, not paywalls.
Freely accessible local news is vital. Please power our reporters and help keep us independent with a donation today.

Los Angeles County transportation officials released a report today stating that a subway built under Beverly Hills High School with a Century City stop at Constellation Blvd. and Avenue of the Stars would be safe, and it recommended that the MTA Board of Directors move forward with plans to extend the Westside subway.

The report rebukes evidence presented by the Beverly Hills Unified School District last week, which stated that the development was unsafe and that the subway should be redirected so that it would not run beneath the high school, according to City News Service.

School board president, Brian Goldberg, said that the district is prepared to sue MTA if they proceed with plans to tunnel the subway under the high school.

Today's report acknowledges that the subway alignment passes through a methane zone, but determined that levels near the high school and the Constellation stop are less that those near Downtown's Red Line.

Support for LAist comes from

The MTA Board of Directors is scheduled to hear the new report in a meeting on Thursday and vote whether to approve the next phases of the project, which would extend the subway from La Cienega to Westwood.

Lawyers for the school district sent letters to the MTA Board urging them to delay the vote until they could come to an agreement.