Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.

KPCC Archive

Investigators to seek Jenner's phone records after fatal crash

The Los Angeles Coroner is assisted by law enforcement officers to remove the body of a victim of a car crash where one person was killed and at least seven other people were injured, in a chain reaction, head-on crash in Malibu Calif. on Saturday Feb. 7, 2015. The SUV with a trailer is belong to Reality-TV star Bruce Jenner.
The Los Angeles Coroner is assisted by law enforcement officers to remove the body of a victim of a car crash where one person was killed and at least seven other people were injured, in a chain reaction, head-on crash in Malibu Calif. on Saturday Feb. 7, 2015. The SUV with a trailer is belong to Reality-TV star Bruce Jenner.
(
Ringo H.W. Chiu/AP
)

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Investigators plan to seek drivers' phone records in a fatal crash involving Olympic gold medalist and reality TV star Bruce Jenner Saturday. Sheriff's officials said there was some indication cell phone use may have played a part in the collision, which shut down a portion of the Pacific Coast Highway Saturday.  

Investigators are still completing their review of the scene — taking photos, measuring skid tracks and completing a scaled drawing of the scene as they found it, L.A. County sheriff sergeant Philip Brooks said Sunday. 

The next step in the process will be to look into drivers' phone records from the time of the accident. 

"Investigators will follow up with him and other parties to determine if cell phones could be a factor," Brooks said, "and at that time they would try to obtain cell phone records if necessary." 

He added that officials could issue a subpoena to cell phone service providers, but that probably wouldn't happen until Monday or Tuesday, he said. 

"It's very difficult to determine the time of a crash in relation to [use of] a cell phone," Brooks added. "You could have been on the phone and then hung up the phone and then crashed, and therefore [cell phone use] is not a significant factor." 

A 69-year-old woman was killed in the crash. Five other people were taken to St. Johns Hospital in Santa Monica for treatment. Brooks said those injuries appeared to be minor.

Sponsored message

Brooks said earlier that a preliminary investigation determined that an SUV driven by Jenner appears to have started the four-car collision after it hit a white Lexus from behind.

The collision shut down a portion of the Pacific Coast Highway for hours. 

The cars involved in Saturday's crash have been impounded and are being checked to make sure mechanical factors aren't to blame in the incident, Brooks said. 

This story has been updated. This story has been corrected to reflect the number of vehicles involved in the collision. 

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today