Sponsored message
Logged in as
Audience-funded nonprofit news
radio tower icon laist logo
Next Up:
0:00
0:00
Subscribe
  • Listen Now Playing Listen
  • Listen Now Playing Listen

This archival content was originally written for and published on KPCC.org. Keep in mind that links and images may no longer work — and references may be outdated.

KPCC Archive

Coastal waters in Long Beach are open after sewage leak dissipates

This story is free to read because readers choose to support LAist. If you find value in independent local reporting, make a donation to power our newsroom today.

Long Beach has reopened all of its beaches just in time for a sweltering weekend. 

Health officials say testing has confirmed the city's coastal waters are free of the bacteria they'd found after a massive sewage spill earlier in the week.

All the city's beaches are now open, Long Beach Health Department spokesman Nelson Kerr said. 

"This is the second consecutive clean test that we've received and that, coupled with the time that has elapsed since the spill has been shut down, makes us feel fairly comfortable — very comfortable I should say — reopening our beaches," Kerr said.

Around 2.4 million gallons of raw sewage spilled into the L.A. River from a broken pipeline on Monday and made its way to Long Beach, prompting officials to shut access to the waters down. 

Kerr said the health department will continue testing the area for any abnormalities, as it regularly does, but he added he doesn't expect any lingering detritus to emerge from the L.A. River.

"It's been several days and mother nature has a beautiful way of clearing these spills out," he said, "so I'm comfortable with opening the beach."

Sponsored message

You can find updates on Long Beach's coastal water quality by checking their website or calling 562-570-4119.

You come to LAist because you want independent reporting and trustworthy local information. Our newsroom doesn’t answer to shareholders looking to turn a profit. Instead, we answer to you and our connected community. We are free to tell the full truth, to hold power to account without fear or favor, and to follow facts wherever they lead. Our only loyalty is to our audiences and our mission: to inform, engage, and strengthen our community.

Right now, LAist has lost $1.7M in annual funding due to Congress clawing back money already approved. The support we receive from readers like you will determine how fully our newsroom can continue informing, serving, and strengthening Southern California.

If this story helped you today, please become a monthly member today to help sustain this mission. It just takes 1 minute to donate below.

Your tax-deductible donation keeps LAist independent and accessible to everyone.
Senior Vice President News, Editor in Chief

Make your tax-deductible donation today