This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Is Panda Express Introducing A Fork/Chopsticks Hybrid Utensil?
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- Alt-rock band Ween has announced that they will play Los Angeles for the first time in more than five years.
- Panda Express, long known for their authentic Chinese cuisine, may be introducing a new hybrid utensil called the "Chork," which would be half fork, half chopsticks.
- The trial is underway for Harry Burkhart, the German national accused of setting more than 40 fires in Hollywood, West Hollywood and the San Fernando Valley during a three-night arson spree in 2012.
- Researchers at USC analyzed every cancer diagnosis in the Los Angeles area over the last 37 years to extrapolate data on how race and ethnicity affect cancer rates in the area.
- The Getty is having their summer book sale, which means selected Getty Publications (including some wonderful L.A.-related exhibition catalogues like Overdrive: L.A. Constructs the Future, 1940-1990, Ed Ruscha and 'Some Los Angeles Apartments' and Pacific Standard Time: Los Angeles Art, 1945-1980) are half-off.
- A bunch of birds and mosquitos in the San Gabriel Valley tested positive for West Nile Virus.
- Here's your Monday evening pick-me-up, courtesy of the great Nora Ephron:
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.