This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: You Need At Least $109K A Year To Afford The Average 2-Bedroom Apartment In L.A.
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- To afford the average 2-bedroom apartment in Los Angeles, you need a salary of over $109,000. What affordable housing crisis?
- The Harvard Medical School just encoded a movie into the DNA of bacteria. Don't delete your Google Drive just yet, but yeah, it blew our minds too.
- Bill Nye wants you to tie your shoelaces better.
- The New Yorker explains another of its punctuation quirks—the reasoning behind that pesky second comma in "Donald Trump, Jr.,'s"
- Check out this 8mm (contraband) color film footage from the set of I Love Lucy.
- Mindy Kaling has a pretty swanky Hancock Park home.
- Here's John Turturro ending things with his therapist:
Cruise off the highway and hit locally-known spots for some tasty bites.
Fentanyl and other drugs fuel record deaths among people experiencing homelessness in L.A. County. From 2019 to 2021, deaths jumped 70% to more than 2,200 in a single year.
This fungi isn’t a “fun guy.” Here’s what to do if you spot or suspect mold in your home.
Donald Trump was a fading TV presence when the WGA strike put a dent in network schedules.
Edward Bronstein died in March 2020 while officers were forcibly taking a blood sample after his detention.
A hike can be a beautiful backdrop as you build your connection with someone.