This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: July Was The Hottest Of All 1,639 Months On Record
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- We all know it's been hot. But did you know that July was the hottest month on record ever?
- If you have about $12 million lying around, why not spend it on Chris Paul's Bel-Air abode?
- The Tragically Hip, one of Canada's most beloved rock bands, will be playing its final show ever. Lead singer Gord Downie was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer earlier this year. Find out how you can stream the concert live.
- Frank Ocean has finally (finally!) released some new music. Doesn't mean we've forgiven him, though.
- The New Jersey Devils want their goalie to wear leg pads inspired by George Costanza.
- In response to the "fav7films" hashtag, several celebrities Tweeted their top seven movies. Matthew Modine revealed his love for Dumbo.
- Guns n' Roses killed it at Dodger Stadium last night. "You're in the jungle, babay!"
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.