ICYMI: Venice Residents Want To Secede From L.A.
Stories like these are only possible with your help!
You have the power to keep local news strong for the coming months. Your financial support today keeps our reporters ready to meet the needs of our city. Thank you for investing in your community.
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- Did you know that Venice, founded in 1905, used to be its own municipality? And that it wasn't until 1926 that it was annexed by L.A. for financial reasons? Today, some Venice residents want to go back to those days of independence.
- Researchers at UCLA have discovered that Latinos age slower (and thus live longer) than everyone else.
- Scientists have discovered a fifth force of nature. Do you know the other four? No, magic doesn't count.
- Gawker is shutting down after a nasty legal tussle with
Hulk HoganPeter Thiel.
- Vampires? Check. An entertainment property that stokes our nostalgia? Check. A reason to cast sexy, 20-something actors? Check. The Lost Boys is being turned into a TV show, because of course it would.
- It's a gross understatement to say that Amber Heard just went through a messy divorce with Johnny Depp. Now, she's donating her divorce settlement—all $7 million of it—to charity
- Who's more vicious? Book reviewers or restaurant reviewers?
- Nothing can match the power of a hydraulic press: