This is an archival story that predates current editorial management.
This archival content was written, edited, and published prior to LAist's acquisition by its current owner, Southern California Public Radio ("SCPR"). Content, such as language choice and subject matter, in archival articles therefore may not align with SCPR's current editorial standards. To learn more about those standards and why we make this distinction, please click here.
ICYMI: Burning Man Turns 30
- Follow LAist on Twitter, on Instagram, and like us on Facebook. You can also see what T-shirt LAist Editor-in-Chief Carman Tse is wearing today on the Shirts of My Boss Instagram. And to get the top stories mailed to you, sign up here.
- Emeril Lagasse, like everyone, is impressed with L.A.'s culinary scene these days, but he still adores the coffee shop at the Beverly Hills Hotel above all else. Old school.
- Burning Man turns 30 this year. Maybe you'll see Dana Brunetti or Katy Perry if you're heading up to Burn yourself.
- 11 restaurants in L.A. were shut down this week due to cockroach and rodent infestations. Don't worry, Emeril, the Beverly Hills Hotel is safe.
- This quiz told me that the rapper I am most likely to be friends with is Kanye West.
- What a segue! Kanye displayed the wax figures from the Werner Herzog-approved "Famous" video at Culver City's Blum & Poe gallery last night.
- And finally, happy birthday to the incredible Alice Coltrane, who would have been 79 today.
Southern California's Snow-Capped Mountains Are Beautiful. Here's Where To Maximize The View (And Snap A Great Picture)It's been many, many years since we saw this much snow in our mountains. Going up there right now isn't safe, but here are some places where you can enjoy the view and snap a pic.
April Valentine died at Centinela Hospital. Her daughter was born by emergency C-section. She'd gone into the pregnancy with a plan, knowing Black mothers like herself were at higher risk.
A look at years past when snows creeped into our citified neighborhoods, away from the mountains and foothills.
In the face of a drier future, that iconic piece of Americana is on its way out in Southern California.
Another Missing Hiker Has Been Found Dead In San Gabriels As Search For Actor Julian Sands ContinuesBob Gregory, 62, went missing the same day as Sands. His body was recovered near Mount Islip.